Melioidosis in Mexico

Torres, Alfredo G.

May 17, 2019, 9:17:27 AM5/17/19
to melio...@googlegroups.com

Yes, there is Melioidosis in Mexico. The report of the Mexican Melioidosis meeting is out:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40475-019-00182-1

Alfredo G. Torres, PhD., M.S.

The Herman Barnett Distinguished Professor in Microbiology and Immunology.

Assistant Dean of Faculty Affairs and Professional Development, OFAPD.

University of Texas Medical Branch

301 University Blvd  MRB 4.142G, Galveston, Tx 77555-1070

(409) 747 0189; Fax (409)747 6869

.

Schully, Kevin L CTR USN NAVMEDRSCHCEN SVS MD (USA)

Jun 11, 2019, 12:35:23 PM6/11/19
to melio...@googlegroups.com
Alfredo,
Did you guys do any soil sampling while in Mexico?

Thanks
Kevin

All active links contained in this email were disabled. Please verify the
identity of the sender, and confirm the authenticity of all links contained
within the message prior to copying and pasting the address to a Web browser.

________________________________

Caution-https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40475-019-00182-1

Caution-https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/melioidosis/SN4PR0201MB3423D4DF928B77D76D0679FDAE0B0%40SN4PR0201MB3423.namprd02.prod.outlook.com
<
Caution-https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/melioidosis/SN4PR0201MB3423D4DF928B77D76D0679FDAE0B0%40SN4PR0201MB3423.namprd02.prod.outlook.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> .
Caution-https://groups.google.com/d/optout > .

Torres, Alfredo G.

Jun 11, 2019, 12:40:27 PM6/11/19
to 'Schully, Kevin L CTR USN NAVMEDRSCHCEN SVS MD (USA)' via Melioidosis.info
Kevin:
Yes, they did and Bpm was isolated
Alfredo

Alfredo G. Torres, PhD., M.S.
The Herman Barnett Distinguished Professor in Microbiology and Immunology.
Assistant Dean of Faculty Affairs and Professional Development, OFAPD.
University of Texas Medical Branch
301 University Blvd  MRB 4.142G, Galveston, Tx 77555-1070
(409) 747 0189; Fax (409)747 6869

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/melioidosis/1EA488950467094BB8102ECA6D878E03854F05AD%40UMECHPA7C.easf.csd.disa.mil.

Gee, Jay (CDC/DDID/NCEZID/DHCPP)

Jun 11, 2019, 12:43:36 PM6/11/19
to melio...@googlegroups.com
A group at a University in Mexico did the environmental sampling.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/melioidosis/SN4PR0201MB34231111176CA2478BB73865AEED0%40SN4PR0201MB3423.namprd02.prod.outlook.com.

Schully, Kevin L CTR USN NAVMEDRSCHCEN SVS MD (USA)

Jun 11, 2019, 12:49:47 PM6/11/19
to melio...@googlegroups.com, jay...@cdc.hhs.gov
Do you have any pictures?

I am trying to convince some people to let me do a survey and they are
freaking out because "it's BSAT" and "it's BSL3 work". And once the wrong
person thinks that it's really hard to get them to unthink it.

Not trying to steel any thunder just trying to give some people a reality
check.

Thanks
Kevin

----
Caution-Caution-https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40475-019-00182-1

Caution-Caution-https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/melioidosis/SN4PR0201MB3423D4DF928B77D76D0679FDAE0B0%40SN4PR0201MB3423.namprd02.prod.outlook.com
<
Caution-Caution-https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/melioidosis/SN4PR0201MB3423D4DF928B77D76D0679FDAE0B0%40SN4PR0201MB3423.namprd02.prod.outlook.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> .
Caution-Caution-https://groups.google.com/d/optout > .

Tim Inglis

Jun 11, 2019, 8:01:20 PM6/11/19
to melio...@googlegroups.com

Kevin,

I'll send you one of mine if I can find it, showing me kneeling in a subsequently Bp POS tropical environment with no PPE. My pre and post serology did not change. More than a decade on, I am still seronegative, and we handle Bp at PC2 here.

For healthy adults with none of the recognised comorbidities, this is not as scarey as some would have you think.

Kind regards,

Tim Inglis.

Jun 12, 2019, 6:14:02 AM6/12/19
to melio...@googlegroups.com
Kevin,

Here is a picture taken of me at a location that subsequently proved culture positive in Western Australia.
The two colleagues in high vis vests are sampling another culture positive location in the same mine site we published on in AJTM&H. They are wearing high visibility clothing because they are on a mine site road - not because B. pseudomallei might be nearby.

The third picture is health workers wading across the dam near where the NE Brazil melioidosis case cluster occurred, knowing that the children who contracted fatal infections had been diving off this dam.

BTW the Bp ’snowflake’ colony featured on the Mexico meeting website was one I originally took. It’s part of a collection of close up shots I took in our lab without any special protection over the camera. To my knowledge, no-one in these pictures has seroconverted in the following decade.

I have the high definition versions of all of these, but have kept the size down for convenience.

Kind regards,

Tim.
TJJI biorecc ADM05.jpg
22 water walk 2.JPG
AJM biorecce ADM 05.jpg

David Dance

Jun 12, 2019, 6:24:37 AM6/12/19
to melio...@googlegroups.com

I agree with everything that has been said by others.  People do seem to have difficulty getting the risks into perspective, particularly in the USA.  Do they think that all rice farming should be banned?  The risks to an individual rice farmer are actually very low unless, as Tim points out, they have diabetes or some other major predisposing factor.  Direk could probably give you some hard figures for this group from his step-wedge study in Ubon.  The risks from one-off soil sampling are even less.

David

Direk Limmathurotsakul

Jun 12, 2019, 9:27:46 PM6/12/19
to melio...@googlegroups.com

Dear David, Tim, Rob, Kevin, et al.

In general, for soil sampling, we go with boots and gloves. (no space suit; no N95 in rice field)

I hope the soil sampling team do not mind me sharing the working pictures attached.

For the SWRCT (NCT02089152), the pamphlets and poster (in Thai) we used are attached (open-access and available at https://melioidosisubon.wixsite.com/premel/c). Educational VDOs are open-access and available here (https://melioidosisubon.wixsite.com/premel/blank-3). Please note that we recommend farmers boots (and drinking boiled water) but didn’t go as far as recommending gloves (gloves doesn’t work for rice farming in flooded field under the sun for hours).

Soil culture was performed in BSL2+ in the same way we culture clinical specimens for diagnostic work. All plates are read in hoods.

Kind regards,

Direk

1556691582315.jpg
1556691585684.jpg
1556691573694.jpg
1d5d73_2d0b10515f1d4f8e84aad456e9613b62.pdf
1d5d73_591c25cce69b4508820ee3b679a74984.pdf
1d5d73_c9690fdd641b40078cbbbd72437a8327.pdf
1d5d73_d923a7be9ade4639b341eb647fd6b37d.pdf
1556691582315.jpg

David Dance

Jun 13, 2019, 4:19:41 AM6/13/19
to melio...@googlegroups.com

Agreed – boots and gloves are a sensible and proportionate precaution – as they are for rice farming.

David