CDC Health Alert Network 00444: Multistate Investigation of Non-travel Associated Burkholderia pseudomallei Infections (Melioidosis) in Three Patients: Kansas, Texas, and Minnesota—2021

A. Tuanyok

Jul 2, 2021, 4:16:21 PM7/2/21
to Melioidosis.info
For more information: https://emergency.cdc.gov/han/2021/han00444.asp

Best regards,
Apichai Tuanyok

Direk

Aug 2, 2021, 10:41:31 PM8/2/21
to Melioidosis.info
Dear all.

Late thanks to p'Apichai, and here are follow-up news from the US.

https://gizmodo.com/cdc-warns-doctors-about-a-mystery-bacterial-outbreak-wi-1847210820

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/15478848/melioidosis-bacteria-attacks-brain-infects-three-kills-one-cdc/

They are a month old though.

They were noted by David. I have seen Gizmodo (and Alfredo's and Peter's comment), but not the Sun. So, I share with you all just in case you miss either of the news.

Cheers,

Direk

Torres, Alfredo G.

Aug 9, 2021, 3:38:00 PM8/9/21
to melio...@googlegroups.com
Fourth case now reported in Georgia https://emergency.cdc.gov/han/2021/han00448.asp

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 3, 2021, at 7:12 PM, Direk <dire...@gmail.com> wrote:

WARNING: This email originated from outside of UTMB's email system. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Direk Limmathurotsakul

Aug 16, 2021, 10:05:42 PM8/16/21
to melio...@googlegroups.com

An interview from Bart to the Scientist regarding the four cases in the US.

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/q-a-what-you-need-to-know-about-melioidosis-69094

Kind regards,

Direk

Direk Limmathurotsakul

Oct 24, 2021, 11:21:39 PM10/24/21
to melio...@googlegroups.com

Dear everyone,

Here is an update of ‘2021 Multistate Outbreak’ of melioiosis in the U.S.

As part of the public health investigation into these illnesses, CDC tested blood samples from the patients, as well as soil, water, and consumer products from in and around their homes. In October 2021, CDC identified B. pseudomallei, which causes melioidosis, in an aromatherapy spray that was found in the home of the Georgia patient. “ (with picture)

2021 Multistate outbreak of melioidosis | Melioidosis | CDC

The genetic fingerprint of the bacteria that sickened the four patients is similar to that of strains usually found in South Asia; the aromatherapy spray was made in India. CDC is coordinating with state health departments in Kansas, Minnesota, and Texas to try to determine whether the other three patients may have also used this or similar products.

“Our hearts go out to the families that have been impacted by this situation,” said Inger Damon, MD, MPH, director of CDC’s Division of High-Consequence Pathogens and Pathology, which manages melioidosis. “We at CDC have been very concerned to see these serious related illness spread across time and geography. That is why our scientists have continued to work tirelessly to try to find the potential source for the melioidosis infections in these patients. We hope this work can help protect other people who may have used this spray.””

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/p1022-aromatherapy-bacteria.html

and on twitter:

We are thankful for the great works and looking forward to more details from the CDC team (via news and papers, and, potentially, at EMC 2022, Graz, Austria).

Kind regards,

Direk

Direk Limmathurotsakul

Oct 29, 2021, 1:35:55 AM10/29/21
to melio...@googlegroups.com

Torres, Alfredo G.

Oct 29, 2021, 9:48:59 AM10/29/21
to melio...@googlegroups.com

An interview about the recall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srCsNF-eoZE

Alfredo G. Torres, PhD., M.S.

The Herman Barnett Distinguished Professor in Microbiology and Immunology.

Associate Provost

Chief Diversity Officer

University of Texas Medical Branch

301 University Blvd  MRB 4.142G, Galveston, Tx 77555-1070

(409) 747 0189; Fax (409)747 6869