“Update on www.melioidosis.info and call for updated data”

Phasith Phatchana

Jan 7, 2020, 11:06:23 PM1/7/20
to Melioidosis.info

“Update on www.melioidosis.info and call for updated data”

Dear everyone,

Happy New Year. I would like to update everyone on www.melioidosis.info up to 1 Jan 2020.

[1] Map and open-access database on www.melioidosis.info now include publications on human cases, animal cases and environment B. pseudomallei up to September 2019. Those include all publications from Global burden and Challenges of Melioidosis, that each country/region published your recent situation together. We will keep updating the published data regularly.

[2] Map and open-access database also have the reports of 3,520 culture-confirmed human cases and 615 deaths from 2015 to 2018 reported from 23 contributors in 11 countries. We also have another 4 contributors who provided information about their organizations/institutions on the website. You can see all on the map function of the website (click the box “contributors” on the right column).

Without you all, this could not have been achieved this far. We are sincerely thankful for your efforts and helps throughout the years. The map and data of both ‘published manuscripts’ and ‘reports of total number of melioidosis cases and deaths found at your institutions/hospitals/organizations’ are very helpful to drive the policy.

Therefore, we would like to take this opportunity to call for updated data on REPORTS of total number of culture-confirmed melioidosis cases and deaths found at your institution/hospital/organization’ from everyone again.

v  For 23 contributors who previously reported total number of cases and deaths on the website, we would like you to update your report to 2019, if possible (or at least up to 2018).  Currently, the most update data are in 2018 reported by Calmette Hospital, Cambodia (our new contributor!!! –click here case report as an example).

v  We also would like to invite everyone from any institutions/hospitals/organizations to be contributors and report number of cases and deaths in each year on the website as well. The report is just a summary of the total number of cases and deaths. Your summary data (report) can be from the data that you have already published or are going to publish. This is similar to PROMED system; only that we curate them on melioidosis.info website. When we curate the number of cases reported in each country, we give a higher priority to your summary data than publications (This is because data on publications tend to be a subset of what happens. Some cases are published more than once, and we curate based on limited published information).

Most importantly, having contact details of contributors on website on repots is very helpful to all healthcare providers, researchers, policy makers, ministry of health and funders in your country and worldwide.

If you need further helps or assistances to provide information, please directly contact me pha...@tropmedres.ac. Also, if we miss any publications of melioidosis cases and environment B. pseudomallei, please let us know. Even if it is not in PubMED or it is not in English, we can provide links and information of those publications. Please just let me know.

Kind regards,

Phasith Phatchana

On behalf of admin of www.melioidosis.info

PS: How to report cases – You can click on “Report cases” on the primary tab on the website. On doing so you will be directed to your email application, allowing you to fill up the form and email your update to the RCN.

How to report what support their institutions offer such as B. pseudomallei identification, isolate or specimen storage, research collaboration and finally provide biosafety guidance. - You can click “Update institution’s information” on the website. On doing so you will be directed to your email application, allowing you to fill up the form and email your update to the RCN.

Acknowledgement: www.melioidosis.info is being supported by the Biological Threat Reduction Program (BTRP), DTRA, USA.