What are the most important 3 things you got out of the WMC 2019?

Direk Limmathurotsakul

Oct 18, 2019, 6:05:19 AM10/18/19
to Melio...@googlegroups.com

Dear everyone,

I would like to ask you to share “What the important 3 things you got out of WMC 2019?

Would you be kind sharing what you think with us?

Kind regards,

Direk

PS. I will give the ball rolling

Me –      1) Network – IMN and how great everyone is being

2) Someone could re-do “the modelling map study” soon

3) Someone could start “new consensus soil sampling guideline” soon

David Dance

Oct 19, 2019, 12:13:58 AM10/19/19
to melio...@googlegroups.com

I pretty much agree with your 3 things Direk.  What I would have said was:

  1. We need more hard data on the global burden, not just modelling.
  2. We need better methods for environmental detection.
  3. It is amazing what we can learn from genomics!

We always knew that the modelling of the global burden would need to be revisited regularly as more data becomes available, and for me the highest priority is for Chiranjay and colleagues to try to encourage the government of India to establish a co-ordinated national surveillance programme for melioidosis, as the country predicted to have the greatest burden.  At the moment there is a huge discrepancy between the predicted and reported numbers of cases which potentially undermines the case for establishing melioidosis as an NTD.

I agree that the consensus guidelines on environmental sampling will need to be updated, but we need more multi-centre evaluations of the new approaches to underpin this.

Most of all, I was reminded what an extraordinarily warm, welcoming and collaborative community this is, so it is encouraging to see the quality of the science improving every time we meet and refreshing to see such great young scientists joining the community.  I am looking forward to Darwin!

David

David Dance

Oct 19, 2019, 12:17:38 AM10/19/19
to melio...@googlegroups.com

Of course I forgot that perhaps the most memorable single fact for me was that it looks as though there is probably a focus of indigenous melioidosis in Texas – I really look forward to hearing that story unfold…

Chiranjay Mukhopadhyay [MAHE-KMC]

Oct 20, 2019, 8:22:08 AM10/20/19
to melio...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,
It was really amazing to meet you all in HANOI - one of the best experiences till now in WMC.
Thanks to Trung and Ivo for this academic fest - and non academic adventures!

David and Direk, I do agree with the 3 things.
Just as David said - we need more hard data. I agree that India (and SA) should be the target to prove the hypothesis and GoI should take it seriously. But my fear is the lack of enough data from India in proportion to the size of its population and prevalence of other infectious diseases, as it is said many times before. GoI has its priority diseases like TB, Malaria, AIDS, Dengue etc. which have proven health impact in the country. National level programs against those diseases have launched, as there was a huge long-standing burden of these diseases in the country. Since melioidosis has not even been designated as a NTD, we find it difficult to convince GoI to initiate any awareness program.
I feel that it is the time to put it forward unanimously for an action. How do we know when we will see enough data and information, so that we feel satisfied to react? India can be the model country with highest number of predicted cases and mortality to initiate the surveillance jointly with international experts and WHO. In India, we have cases from almost every corner and states now, and the number is increasing every year.
Same is my thought about consensus guidelines for environmental surveillance. There should be joint ventures at multiple centres trying out multiple standardized methods with the indigenous soil samples, where the disease is predicted to be endemic. At the end, I believe, that there many not be any single, but a combination of tests, which will be validated as standard.
About Genomics - really amazing. As we were discussing in this WMC, there may be a radical change in the recent perspective of evolutionary genetics of the disease, if the strains from the SA, African and South American countries are analyzed in future. The major problem is - those who have the strains do not have the facilities ( and financial support) to analyze, and those who have the facilities, may not have the disease. And there are strict rules everywhere ....

Best,
Chiranjay

Oct 22, 2019, 12:18:42 AM10/22/19
to melio...@googlegroups.com

Dear all,

I would say:

  1. I am looking forward for seeing the results of the first vaccine trial at UK.
  2. Great to update the immunology and genomics, but my brain stopped working after that.
  3. Most important thing was seeing you all there.

Thanks to Trung and Ivo for excellent hospitality and congratulation for great successful.

Best wishes,

Lek

Altmann, Danny M

Oct 29, 2019, 8:39:46 AM10/29/19
to melio...@googlegroups.com

  1. Modeling study from Direk et al continues to reap evident dividends and catalysis for the community – not least in terms of great presence and datasets from a wider range of countries
  2. These wider inputs from diverse settings offer lessons for us – what’s always common in melioidosis between places, and perhaps more importantly/informatively, the differences
  3. David’s Whitmore history is a growing delight, but I keep going onto the ‘Amazon Books’ site to order and get a response that its not available yet – how come?

Prof Daniel Altmann
Department of Medicine, Imperial College
Commonwealth Building
Du Cane Road
London W12 0NN, UK

From: <melio...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Direk Limmathurotsakul <di...@tropmedres.ac>