Calling all Web Developers and Technologists - Berkman is Hiring

Arthit Suriyawongkul

Aug 2, 2012, 12:25:35 AM8/2/12
to mekongict
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rebecca Tabasky <rtab...@cyber.law.harvard.edu>
Date: Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 2:48 AM
Subject: Calling all Web Developers and Technologists - Berkman is Hiring

Good afternoon,

The Geek Cave in the Berkman Center for Internet & Society is
expanding. We also now have a Senior Web Developer position open in
addition to the Senior Systems Architect, Lead Platform Manager, and
Junior Web Developer positions that we have recently posted. The text
for the new Senior Web Developer is below; descriptions for the other
positions can be found on the Berkman site.

These roles will all very substantially contribute to the Berkman
Center's mission to build out into cyberspace, and will afford the
staffers the opportunity to develop free and open source software and
work on challenging issues with brilliant and fun-loving
collaborators.

If you have questions about these technical roles, please do not
hesitate to be in touch, and please note that applications must be
submitted through the Harvard Law School HR site. As well, please
share along with candidates who you think might fit the bill!

All best,
Becca

----

Senior Web Developer

Duties & Responsibilities

The Berkman Center seeks an enthusiastic web applications developer
with strong people skills. The successful candidate will develop
web-based applications from the database to the UI. The position will
also provide project management support for some application
development projects and mentor (in an advisory and support role)
junior developers. Position expected to interface directly with
clients, working with them to refine vision and scope of projects. The
developer will need to keep current with tools and technologies of
open source software development and database architecture and will
release much of their work under FOSS licenses.

Working with great in-house talent, position is ideal for someone who
learns enjoys tinkering/solving a range of dynamic technology problems
and is comfortable in a fun, dynamic and fast-moving environment.
Candidate should have good customer service and communication skills;
be adept at working with both non-technical and technical people; able
to take initiative and follow through with minimal supervision; be
patient, curious, and perseverant; be flexible and be able to
prioritize and to manage multiple needs; works well as part of a team
and independently.

Reports to Technology Director. As with all Berkman Center positions,
this is a term appointment funded through June 30, 2013; with strong
potential for continuation based on funding and institutional need.

Basic Qualifications

Bachelor’s degree required. 6+ years of web application development
experience including 4+ years work experience with Ruby and PHP using
MVC development frameworks (ROR, Symfony, CodeIgniter). Full life
cycle development experience (technical design through implementation)
required.

Additional Qualifications - please note that this section lists a set
of desired technical skills. We do not expect the ideal candidate to
come into the job possessing them all, but we do expect her or him to
be a quick and motivated learner. We're flexible for the right
candidate.

Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering or related field
preferred. Experience with agile, BDD and TDD software development
methods are highly desirable. Skills in Object-Oriented Design,
Application Architecture and Web Technologies (HTML, JavaScript, AJAX,
JSON, XML, CSS); skills in JS toolkits (jQuery, EXTJs, OpenLayers,
etc.); experience with RDBMS (MySQL, PostgreSQL) and noSQL DBs
(couchDB, mongoDB); strong command of web standards and best
practices; experience with web services (RESTful Rails, Apache,
Tomcat, Nginx) and open source applications (MediaWiki, Wordpress,
Drupal, BrowserCMS, etc). Familiarity with Perl and/or shell
scripting, with Linux (Debin, Ubuntu, CentOS) administration, Linux
security best practices and implementation, virtualization (XEN,
QEMU/KVM), source control (SVN, GIT) is a huge plus.

Excellent communication and technical skills; demonstrated ability to
take appropriate initiative and drive the development process;
demonstrated project planning and time management skills; ability to
work independently, assume leadership roles and work as part of a
team. Code samples will be required.

Candidate would thrive in dynamic, entrepreneurial, self-motivated
environment. Ability to work under tight deadlines crucial. Must be a
team player, able to work alone and in teams.

Additional Information

University is a research program founded to explore cyberspace, share
in its study, and help pioneer its development. Founded in 1997,
through a generous gift from Jack N. and Lillian R. Berkman, the
Center is home to an ever-growing community of faculty, fellows,
staff, and affiliates working on projects that span the broad range of
intersections between cyberspace, technology, and society. More
information can be found at http://cyber.law.harvard.edu.

Commitment to Diversity: The work and well-being of the Berkman Center
for Internet & Society at Harvard University are strengthened
profoundly by the diversity of our network and our differences in
background, culture, experience, national origin, religion, sexual
orientation, and much more. We actively seek and welcome applications
from people of color, women, the LGBTQ community, persons with
disabilities and all other diverse candidates, as well as applications
from researchers and practitioners from across the spectrum of
disciplines and methods.

****

The Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University was founded to
explore cyberspace, share in its study, and help pioneer its development. For
more information, visit: http://cyber.law.harvard.edu.

To change your Berkman Center subscriptions, visit:
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/signup
message-footer.txt