Current draw from Meggy

Emo

Feb 26, 2010, 4:02:35 PM2/26/10
to MeggyDev
Somewhat related to the ISP / ring communication thread, I have
another question:

What's the current draw from the Meggy Jr RGB? If I wanted to chain
three units together (to integrate them into a single project), could
I power them from a single 1mA AC adapter?

If separate power supplies must be used, are there any issues tying
together each unit's serial ground pin?

-Emo

Windell H. Oskay

Feb 26, 2010, 4:12:23 PM2/26/10
to megg...@googlegroups.com
The current draw is considerably higher than 1 mA, and depends mostly on
the number of LEDs that are driven. If all 32 LEDs are driven
simultaneously at 20 mA, that's 640 mA, plus the overhead from the three
chips as well as the speaker. Average power consumption is usually much
lower.

Provided that you have sufficient current capacity, you can power any
number from a common 4.5 V or 5 V power supply.

-Windell

Emo

Feb 26, 2010, 4:22:29 PM2/26/10
to MeggyDev
Whoops! My [meat] memory failed when recalling the output of the AC
adapter (1A output). So it sounds like I'd need to power each unit
separately or find a higher-rated one.

Thanks!!
-Emo