[MeggyDev] New library version 1.4 (beta) & game: Revenge of the Cherry Tomatoes!

oskay

Apr 18, 2010, 1:41:04 AM4/18/10
to MeggyDev
I'm embarrassed to say how long we've been working on this, but it's
finally here, and I'd like to invite you all to give this a spin.

The new library is not changed much-- we've added *one* function to
the simplified library portion, which is called "SafeDrawPx" -- it
works just like DrawPx, but also performs sanity limit checking on the
inputs. This is slightly slower than DrawPx, but using this function
is much faster than separately limit checking each time that you would
use DrawPx.

The new game is Revenge of the Cherry Tomatoes; it's a sequel to
Attack of the Cherry Tomatoes (the default game). Please look through
the comments in the beginning of the code about how to play-- it's got
new bad guys, new weapons, new sounds, new effects, and new moving
walls. There are probably bugs, so we'd like to enlist you all as
beta testers at this point. One thing that you should know is that
this game requires a Meggy Jr with an ATmega328-- it's a little too
big for the '168.

The new library is available on the Google Code site for download
(labeled as a beta), and includes the new game as one of the
examples. You can download it directly by following this link:

http://meggy-jr-rgb.googlecode.com/files/MeggyJrLibrary1.40%28beta%29.zip

(And the changes are also pushed through to svn, of course.)

Mostly unrelated, but looking forward...
There have been some recent changes to the Arduino software that might
let us add more functions to the Meggy Jr library as well. Unlike
with previous versions, Arduino 0018 only compiles the libraries at
run time-- this means that functions that you don't call won't be
included, and therefore that we can now be free to add additional
functions to the library without worrying about the penalty for people
that don't use those functions. (Yes, that's how it should have been
in the first place.)