Omega 0.6.1 Released!

Mo Morsi

Jan 18, 2014, 2:42:10 PM1/18/14
to omega...@googlegroups.com
I'm pleased to announce the 0.6.1 release of Omega. The release has been
cut and tagged on github [1] and the update deployed to omegaverse.info [2]

Changes since the 0.5.2 version of Omega:

- Destination based movement : the user no longer has to enter
coordinates of where they want to go, they can also select from a list
of destinations in the current system

- Right click based movement : even easier simply right click on an
entity with a ship selected and the ship will start moving towards it

- Better graphics
- Improved stars [3]
- Ship HP Bars & trajectory graphics [4]
- Construction Progress Bars [4]
- Add spin effect to planets

- Audio support in web client, preliminary audio effects for clicking
ships and construction completion

- Many server side improvements:
- Verification of transport persistence before registering callbacks
- Added a 'system_jump' event to the manufactured subsystem so clients
can detect arbitrary jumps into and out of systems (provided they have
permissions to access the entities themselves)
- Added mechanism to auto-stop locations in Motel so callbacks do not
need to be relied on to do so
- Return max ship hp & shield level in JSON
- Resolved many various edge cases especially around states in the
manufactured subsystem

- Many various other simplifications and optimizations. All tests have
been kept up to date and expanded as new functionality has been added,
things are really looking solid!

This release also includes the 1000th commit to the codebase + several
more. Again I'd like to thank Nico for contributing some awesome
features (including the right click movement), Nitesh for working
towards packing up dependencies, and everyone on this list for your support.

Going forward I plan to continue improving the frontend graphics and
adding simulation features to the backend [5]. I'm also planning on
doing a little refactoring / cleanup of the frontend at some point, it
won't be as major as the last overhaul I did around Nov - Dec, but there
are a couple things that need to be split up.

That's it until next time!

-Mo

[1] https://github.com/movitto/omega
[2] http://omegaverse.info/