POST /2/rsvp not changing rsvp back to "waitlist"

Jonathan C

Feb 20, 2018, 2:40:37 PM2/20/18
to Meetup API
First, I am a Co-Organizer (and event host), so I can overrule the waitlist limit on my event. I start with the event full and some people on waitlist (i.e. limit is lower than total RSVPs).

Now, I can successfully move someone from "waitlist" to "yes" both on the web, and through using API POST /2/rsvp.

However, when I try to move the same person back from "yes" to the "waitlist", the web works OK, but the API just ignores it (returns successful status "201 Created", etc., but body still shows response=yes, and no error codes).

Remember, in my case I have a limit lower than the total people on the event, and so moving this person from "yes" to "waitlist" does not auto-add the person, as even after removed the total on the event is at limit (or greater than limit).

Any ideas why I can't move "yes" to "waitlist" using API?

P.S. The v3 API does not allow the host/assistant organizers to manually override member's RSVPs, which is why I have to use v2 API.

Jonathan C

Feb 26, 2018, 10:42:44 AM2/26/18
to Meetup API
BTW, I later found I can use the API to change "yes" to "no", but I still cannot get it to change someone to "waitlist".
In fact if I have the person set to "no" then I run the API with "waitlist" in the requested RSVP, it actually moves the person back to "yes" even though the hike is over its limit!

Essentially the API appears to treat "waitlist" as identical to "yes".

I tried sending a junk RSVP value , such as "zzzz", but it does reject that (gives error and does nothing). So I know the API is validating "waitlist" word correctly, but then it actions it as if it's a "yes".