Duration in Open Events stream

Vijay Sharma

May 3, 2014, 2:24:55 PM5/3/14
to meetu...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

I'm building an app around the Meetup API.  I can mostly manage with just the Open Events stream (http://www.meetup.com/meetup_api/docs/stream/2/open_events/), however it doesn't have the "duration" field, which means I would have to hit the API with another call.

Making a secondary call to the API to get the duration field for each meetup would take us over the 200 calls per hour (more than 200 events per hour can come down via the stream).  The only field I need from the secondary call is "duration"; is there any way of getting this field via the stream, or raising the limit so that we can get the "duration" field for all meetups?

Thanks

Doug Tangren

May 5, 2014, 6:12:58 PM5/5/14
to meetup-api
This is definitely doable. I'll open a ticket to add this

Thanks

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Meetup API" group.

Vijay Sharma

May 6, 2014, 6:47:01 PM5/6/14
to meetu...@googlegroups.com
Hey Doug,

I was wondering if we could get the category in there too?  Also, could I be cheeky and ask for an ETA?  :-)

Thanks again!
Vijay

Doug Tangren

May 7, 2014, 10:04:03 AM5/7/14
to meetup-api
On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 6:47 PM, Vijay Sharma <wij...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey Doug,

I was wondering if we could get the category in there too?  Also, could I be cheeky and ask for an ETA?  :-)

It's in our ticketing system now. I'm a little tied up at the moment so I wouldn't expect it for a few weeks.

Doug Tangren

May 27, 2014, 10:38:00 AM5/27/14
to meetup-api
On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 10:04 AM, Doug Tangren <do...@meetup.com> wrote:

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 6:47 PM, Vijay Sharma <wij...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey Doug,

I was wondering if we could get the category in there too?  Also, could I be cheeky and ask for an ETA?  :-)

It's in our ticketing system now. I'm a little tied up at the moment so I wouldn't expect it for a few weeks.

You should now be able to find an event's duration ( if an end time is set ) and group category in the response of the 2/open_events api stream -- http://www.meetup.com/meetup_api/docs/stream/2/open_events/#response

salt...@gmail.com

May 28, 2014, 7:37:08 PM5/28/14
to meetup-api
According to my log files the meetup servers have been timing out starting 2014-05-27 17:26:40 and are still doing so. Requests made to the API from my server are consistently returning:

Using the console does not have this problem and accessing the server from another machine on my end does not have this problem. I created a test script which basically just does a TCP connect (via PHP) to the api.meetup.com IP on port 443 and this script runs fine on my machine but does not connect on my server. Is it possible my specific server (which has been accessing Meetup fine for a couple of years) is now being “blocked” by Meetup in some way?

Dominique Lacerte

Vijay Sharma

May 29, 2014, 10:52:50 AM5/29/14
to meetu...@googlegroups.com
Doug,

You are a star! :)

Thank you so much for taking the time to help us out with this.  Hopefully you will like how Meetups are used within our app, we launch in the next week, so I'll shoot you a mail for you to take a look at exactly what you hard work helped us achieve!

Thanks again,
Vijay

salt...@gmail.com

May 30, 2014, 3:08:26 AM5/30/14
to meetup-api
My ISP has discovered that the meetup IP was blacklisted and this was preventing the connections. I don’t know what meetup has been up to in order to get blacklisted. 😉 Things seem better now. 😊

Dominique

Doug Tangren

May 30, 2014, 8:23:38 AM5/30/14
to meetup-api
On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 3:02 AM, <salt...@gmail.com> wrote:
My ISP has discovered that the meetup IP was blacklisted and this was preventing the connections. I don’t know what meetup has been up to in order to get blacklisted. 😉 Things seem better now. 😊

Thanks Dominique. I'll let our systems team know.

Dominique

According to my log files the meetup servers have been timing out starting 2014-05-27 17:26:40 and are still doing so. Requests made to the API from my server are consistently returning:

Using the console does not have this problem and accessing the server from another machine on my end does not have this problem. I created a test script which basically just does a TCP connect (via PHP) to the api.meetup.com IP on port 443 and this script runs fine on my machine but does not connect on my server. Is it possible my specific server (which has been accessing Meetup fine for a couple of years) is now being “blocked” by Meetup in some way?

Dominique Lacerte

Doug Tangren

May 30, 2014, 9:31:22 AM5/30/14
to meetup-api
On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 10:52 AM, Vijay Sharma <wij...@gmail.com> wrote:
Doug,

You are a star! :)

Thank you so much for taking the time to help us out with this.  Hopefully you will like how Meetups are used within our app, we launch in the next week, so I'll shoot you a mail for you to take a look at exactly what you hard work helped us achieve!

Thank you for the kind words Vijay. Would you be able to share what kind of app you are building? We are always interested in seeing what people are doing with the Meetup platform.

salt...@gmail.com

Jun 1, 2014, 5:21:06 AM6/1/14
to meetup-api
Hi,

My Meetup API script has been running for over a year and I’ve noticed recently that it has gotten very slow, so much so that it is unusable a majority of the time. I did some investigation and it appears that sometimes the requests for data from the Meetup API are taking very long, approximately 30 seconds each. Is there some rate limiting that was introduced that is causing this? Here is a sample of the times for various URLs:

Dominique

Doug Tangren

Jun 1, 2014, 12:31:00 PM6/1/14
to meetup-api
On Sun, Jun 1, 2014 at 5:15 AM, <salt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

My Meetup API script has been running for over a year and I’ve noticed recently that it has gotten very slow, so much so that it is unusable a majority of the time. I did some investigation and it appears that sometimes the requests for data from the Meetup API are taking very long, approximately 30 seconds each. Is there some rate limiting that was introduced that is causing this? Here is a sample of the times for various URLs:

Do these timings directly reflect the time from request to response without other factors like retried attempts?

Requests opting for extra fields can result in somewhat slower response times due to additional resource usage to fetch the extra data but 30 is definitely not an expected latency. Below is an example of the same request using a masked, but valid, oauth2 token.

{"status":"active","role":"Organizer"}

real 0m0.207s
user 0m0.011s
sys 0m0.008s

I will have a closer look into this when I get into the office on Monday but in the meantime, can post back with a few things if they are available.

Each response includes a header called "X-Meetup-server". We serve API requests from a group of dedicated servers. The X-Meetup-server header indicates the name of a specific server within that group.

For instance the following request indicates is was served by the server named "api13.int.meetup.com".

real 0m0.220s
user 0m0.010s
sys 0m0.008s

If you are able to, for these long response times, can you see if there is any consistency in the the X-Meetup-server returned.

I will look into if anything peculiar happened around the time of these requests.

--
Message has been deleted

Doug Tangren

Jun 2, 2014, 11:46:32 AM6/2/14
to meetup-api

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 11:24 AM, <salt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Doug,

I placed some logging in my server to get the timings, then converted the result to a spreadsheet (CSV) that I’ve attached for you. I don’t see any pattern with respect to the URL being requested or the Meetup server being used. The timings seem to be either very short (a few seconds) or very long (just over 30 seconds). I think it’s strange that there aren’t any timings in between these two (i.e. 10 seconds).

This is great! Thanks Dominique. I'll open a ticket to investigate the issue.

Dominique

salt...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2014, 10:36:42 AM6/5/14
to meetu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I placed some logging in my server to get the timings, then converted the result to a spreadsheet (CSV) that I’ve attached for you. I don’t see any pattern with respect to the URL being requested or the Meetup server being used. The timings seem to be either very short (a few seconds) or very long (just over 30 seconds). I think it’s strange that there aren’t any timings in between these two (i.e. 10 seconds).

Dominique

It’s been about a week now that my site has been unusable due to these delays so I have some angry customers and losing some, I suspect. Can I get an update as to this issue? Have you identified whether this problem affects other API users? Do you have an idea of the cause? Do you have an idea when this will be fixed? Any details you could provide that I can pass on to my customers would be somewhat helpful.

Dominique

Doug Tangren

Jun 7, 2014, 1:22:46 PM6/7/14
to meetup-api

On Jun 7, 2014 1:07 PM, <salt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It’s been about a week now that my site has been unusable due to these delays so I have some angry customers and losing some, I suspect. Can I get an update as to this issue? Have you identified whether this problem affects other API users? Do you have an idea of the cause? Do you have an idea when this will be fixed? Any details you could provide that I can pass on to my customers would be somewhat helpful.
>
> Dominique

We are still investigating the issue. We haven't seen any widespread or overall increases in response latencies so the issue my be limited which makes it more difficult to resolve. We we continue looking at this next week.

Vijay Sharma

Jun 13, 2014, 3:09:39 PM6/13/14
to meetu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Doug,

Happy to share, just had a lot of work to do the last couple of weeks... We're in the AppStore now, hopefully you'll like how prominent Meetup is in the app, you even have your own pin! :)

Let me know what you think, would be happy to discuss improvements to the Meetup side of things with you if you want to email me... :)

Thanks
Vijay

Doug Tangren

Jun 13, 2014, 3:27:38 PM6/13/14
to meetup-api
On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 3:09 PM, Vijay Sharma <wij...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Doug,

Happy to share, just had a lot of work to do the last couple of weeks... We're in the AppStore now, hopefully you'll like how prominent Meetup is in the app, you even have your own pin! :)

Let me know what you think, would be happy to discuss improvements to the Meetup side of things with you if you want to email me... :)

Very nice!

salt...@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2014, 3:17:26 AM6/26/14
to meetu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

This problem seems to have improved for a while starting sometime on the 20th, with connect times down to 5-10 seconds, but then at 2014-06-24 20:22:15 we’re back to getting 30 second connect times fairly consistently. ☹ I hope this issue has a high priority!

Dominique

Doug Tangren

Jun 26, 2014, 9:40:35 AM6/26/14
to meetup-api
On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 3:15 AM, <salt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

This problem seems to have improved for a while starting sometime on the 20th, with connect times down to 5-10 seconds, but then at 2014-06-24 20:22:15 we’re back to getting 30 second connect times fairly consistently. ☹ I hope this issue has a high priority!

Hi Dominique,

It's definitely one of our top priorities. We're recently launched performance fixes that should have a nice effect on group and event based API endpoints. We should have one out for profiles endpoints soon. Are there are API endpoints that seem particularly slow for you? We are also investigating temporary hikes in response times during our release schedules ( we launch a new version of the site multiple times a day ). I am looking into ways to reduce the impact that has on API response times. Are stats are showing that timings like the ones you are reporting are pretty rare. Most requests are responded to within around 200-300ms. This will continue to be my focus until the issue is fully resolved.

mike castleman

Jun 26, 2014, 5:39:45 PM6/26/14
to meetu...@googlegroups.com
hi Dominique,

Are you also able to investigate to be sure it's not something on your
end? We're not seeing especially elevated response times on the Meetup
mobile apps, which also use the public API.

cheers,
mlc

--
mike castleman
android developer, meetup

salt...@gmail.com

Jul 14, 2014, 1:54:21 PM7/14/14
to meetu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Doug,

We are still experiencing the 30 second response times throughout each day. I have performed some other tests around this and it appears that there are times when the connection can take over a minute. I currently have the attached script running on a 5 minute timer on my server and more than half the time the script times out (one minute) while trying to connect. Is it possible that you have some throttling mechanism in place that would result in this type of behavior?

salt...@gmail.com

Jul 14, 2014, 1:55:36 PM7/14/14
to meetu...@googlegroups.com
oops, here is the script.
TestServerSocket.php

Doug Tangren

Jul 14, 2014, 5:24:30 PM7/14/14
to meetup-api
Hi Dominique,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. We've recently launched some performance patches for 2/events, 2/concierge, 2/profiles, and 2/groups. Is there a particular method that's causing trouble for you?

Doug Tangren
Meetup Platform Engineer

salt...@gmail.com

Jul 14, 2014, 7:21:58 PM7/14/14
to meetu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Doug,

It seems to me there may be two problems here. The original problem I reported was that requests for data from the API were sometimes taking about 30 seconds. The second problem is the inability to connect to the API sometimes. This latter problem I only discovered through testing today and I don’t know how long it has been occurring or whether it is linked to the original problem.

With the original problem the delays are occurring regardless of the method or Meetup server that is being accessed. With the latter problem we are merely trying to make a socket connection so there is no method involved.

Doug Tangren

Jul 15, 2014, 12:11:01 AM7/15/14
to meetup-api
On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 7:02 PM, <salt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Doug,

It seems to me there may be two problems here. The original problem I reported was that requests for data from the API were sometimes taking about 30 seconds. The second problem is the inability to connect to the API sometimes. This latter problem I only discovered through testing today and I don’t know how long it has been occurring or whether it is linked to the original problem.

With the original problem the delays are occurring regardless of the method or Meetup server that is being accessed. With the latter problem we are merely trying to make a socket connection so there is no method involved.

Can you send me the IP address of the server you typically issue requests from to do...@meetup.com. This may be an issue with our service proxy provider. If you can forward that along to me. I can have our systems team put you on a whitelist to help make sure that's not the type of issue you are experiencing.

salt...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2014, 1:07:20 AM7/15/14
to meetu...@googlegroups.com
I added the following to my script:

gethostbyname(trim(`hostname`))

and it returned:

192.81.170.12

though I’m not sure this is the IP address you would see on your end.

Chris Lewis

Jul 15, 2014, 7:24:14 AM7/15/14
to meetu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dominique,

Yeah that address won't help much. If you have shell access to the server just ssh to it and run:

curl http://curlmyip.com/

If you don't but your php installation has curl extensions installed (generally the case), run this script on the server:

<?php
$ch = curl_init();
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL, "http://curlmyip.com/");
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_HEADER, 0);
curl_exec($ch);
curl_close($ch);
?>

Either of these will give us the 3rd party view of your address.

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/meetup-api?hl=en?hl=en

---
[...]

salt...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2014, 1:24:56 PM7/15/14
to meetu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

With your PHP script I get back “192.81.170.12“ which is the same as what I got back using gethostbyname(trim(`hostname`)). I guess this is correct then?

Dominique

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/meetup-api?hl=en?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Meetup API" group.

Chris Lewis

Jul 15, 2014, 3:20:13 PM7/15/14
to meetu...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I sped read. 192.168.0.0 is the start of a private range, but yours is not in that range. I'll pass that along and we'll see if that helps.