Any experience with ZMQ within Janus?

Riley Lester

Jul 20, 2022, 6:12:14 PM7/20/22
to meetecho-janus
I've noticed that Janus has both a nanomsg transport as well as a nanomsg based event handler.  I'm curious if this was just a matter of preference or if prior experience/experiments with ZMQ proved less fruitful than nanomsg. Also, I don't have much experience with NNG, but from what I've seen it opens a thread for each processor. I'm worried that this would conflict with Janus considering it requires a thread count proportionate to it's load (or additional Janus processes). Has there been any experience with NNG that can be shared?

Thank you

Lorenzo Miniero

Jul 22, 2022, 9:11:29 AM7/22/22
to meetecho-janus
I only implemented Nanomsg because I had tinkered with that years ago and it seemed easy to implement as a plugin. I don't know if anyone's actually using it, and I don't know anything about ZMQ. I had a look at NNG as a Nanomsg replacement, but gave up on it because backwards compatibility wasn't as easy as they claimed it to be (at least from the look I had), and besides at the time I checked it didn't even have all the bindings Nanomsg had for different languages (so I coudln't write a simple nodejs client to test, for instance). In principle, I'm always happy to add other transports: less happy if I'm the one that has to implement it :-) That said, maintaining has a burden too (once it's in the repo it's up to us to keep it working), so despite more options being better, it's not really worth it if it's something no one uses.

L.