Access handle_id from within plugin

Riley Lester

Jul 18, 2022, 3:50:37 PM7/18/22
to meetecho-janus
Is there any way to access handle_id from within plugin? It is returned to the client by the API when attach to a plugin is successful, but I can't seem to find how to access it from within the plugin scope.

Lorenzo Miniero

Jul 19, 2022, 3:16:24 AM7/19/22
to meetecho-janus
No, core and plugins explicitly can't address their respective internals. You don't need the handle_id in a plugin, as the plugin session you get in the plugin create_session already gives you an abstraction of that connection.

L.

Riley Lester

Jul 19, 2022, 12:46:14 PM7/19/22
to meetecho-janus
Thank you

Riley Lester

Jul 21, 2022, 5:06:53 AM7/21/22
to meetecho-janus
Sorry to bang an old drum, whats the decision behind this? Why abstract an existing relationship between the client and server away from users?

Riley Lester

Jul 21, 2022, 5:11:23 AM7/21/22
to meetecho-janus
Is it because you think we can't understand?

Lorenzo Miniero

Jul 22, 2022, 9:15:21 AM7/22/22
to meetecho-janus
No, it's because I wanted to prevent core and plugins to see and/or mess with each other's internals, and make them work via specific APIs. They don't need to know anything about what each other's doing: plugins never see anything WebRTC related either, for instance, they always work on "pruned" SDPs that just address codecs, and even packets they manage are always unencrypted.

L.

Riley Lester

Jul 28, 2022, 2:52:03 AM7/28/22
to meetecho-janus
It frustrated me at first but I see the logic now.