[MEDITECH-L] Formulary in Meditech

Denise Mayer

Nov 1, 2006, 11:29:33 AM11/1/06
to medit...@mtusers.com

Has anyone been able to import their formulary from Meditech into a database? From what I hear, the formulary isn’t user-friendly in Meditech (Magic 5.5 SP2) and we are trying to find a way to either use some type of utility/add-on to get a quick link/icon to a desktop to retrieve the formulary or import the info to a database.

Any ideas???? Any information would be appreciated!

Denise Mayer, CPhT.

Clinical Informatics Analyst

Delnor-Community Health System
300 Randall Road
Geneva, Illinois 60134

(630)208-4538

denise...@delnor.com

image001.jpg

Thompson, Jeff

Nov 3, 2006, 10:08:54 AM11/3/06
to Denise Mayer, medit...@mtusers.com
We are MAGIC 5.2.3.  I just wrote a NPR to write out a comma-delimited file that I link from MS Access to manipulate the data.  It works fine.  I have heard there are some 3rd-party OBDC (MS Access can directly link to OBDC) drivers that link to Meditech but I haven't explored them.

Jeff Thompson, R.Ph.

Pharmacy Informatics

Newman Regional Health

Emporia, KS 66801

Direct: 620-340-6150

Nov 3, 2006, 10:41:08 AM11/3/06
to Denise Mayer, meditech-...@mtusers.com, medit...@mtusers.com

Are you trying to export a formulary list from the Drug Dictionary, or do you want to set up an external database to MANAGE the Drug Dictionary? If you just want to export a medication list (not all the data in the Drug Dictionary) so people can see what's on the formulary, it's a relatively simple matter to write an NPR report with the desired fields set up as a comma-delimited file, which you can print to Download and then import into a word processor, spreadsheet, database, html editor, etc. Of course, this would be a point-in-time snapshot of the formulary whenever it is run, not a real-time view of the formulary.

If you are trying to import the entire Drug Dictionary into a database so you can edit it and send changes back to Meditech... sorry, that's beyond me.

Steven Dailey, RPh
Pharmacist/Information Services
Union Hospital
Elkton, MD  21921

Note: This message and any attachments are intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender.

meditech-...@MTUsers.com wrote on 11/01/2006 11:29:33 AM:

> [image removed]

m...@rphinformatics.com

Nov 3, 2006, 9:44:57 PM11/3/06
to Denise Mayer, medit...@mtusers.com

What are you trying to do?  Why not “DOWNLOAD” to an Excel spreadsheet via FD 9 and/or FD 44 in a footnote?

Kevin McConnell, PharmD.

Clinical Consultant

(713)480-6810

ke...@RPhInformatics.com

www.RPhInformatics.com

Has anyone been able to import their formulary from Meditech into a database? From what I hear, the formulary isn’t user-friendly in Meditech (Magic 5.5 SP2) and we are trying to find a way to either use some type of utility/add-on to get a quick link/icon to a desktop to retrieve the formulary or import the info to a database.

image001.jpg

Richardson, Tim

Nov 7, 2006, 8:03:12 AM11/7/06
to ke...@rphinformatics.com, Denise Mayer, medit...@mtusers.com

That approach worked well for us at my last hospital, Kevin. Download as needed (after updates), imported to MS Access, placed a searchable link on our intranet. Worked like charm and kept everyone happy.

Tim Richardson
IS Senior Consultant
CentraState Healthcare System
TRich...@centrastate.com

Extension 732.294.2719

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential

and/or exempt from disclosure under law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,

distribution or copying of the communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately
image001.jpg

Denise Mayer

Nov 7, 2006, 9:36:50 AM11/7/06
to ke...@rphinformatics.com, medit...@mtusers.com

We are looking for one-click access from a portal to the formulary.

Denise Mayer, CPhT.

Clinical Informatics Analyst

Delnor-Community Health System
300 Randall Road
Geneva, Illinois 60134

(630)208-4538

denise...@delnor.com

Nov 7, 2006, 11:15:49 AM11/7/06
to medit...@mtusers.com
We do ours a little differently.... we use the Restricted field in the Drug dictionary to indicate that the drug is non-formulary.  I have three different reports which allow any clinical users (including physicians, but I doubt they use it) to run the report to see what is in our formulary.  (Generic, Trade, or Drug Class are the options for the report).

This way we control the view seen.  The View is different if a pharmacists, it doesn't restrict by this Restricted field.  And no, I didn't do this with a nifty macro back to the Access dictionary, (but I should), I just created additional reports without the select of Restricted = N or Y) controlled by application menu.

I know this won't help with all the Part D headaches, but that's another subject.  We also haven't started with BMV, as this project may change this need.

Cindy Bodnar-Anderson
IS, Senior Programmer/Analyst
Regional Health
Rapid City SD  57701

Has anyone been able to import their formulary from Meditech into a database? From what I hear, the formulary isn’t user-friendly in Meditech (Magic 5.5 SP2) and we are trying to find a way to either use some type of utility/add-on to get a quick link/icon to a desktop to retrieve the formulary or import the info to a database.

Any ideas???? Any information would be appreciated!

Denise Mayer, CPhT.

Clinical Informatics Analyst

Delnor-Community Health System
300 Randall Road
Geneva, Illinois 60134

(630)208-4538

denise...@delnor.com

***Note: The information contained in this message, including any attachments, may be privileged, confidential, and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the Sender immediately by a "reply to sender only" message and destroy all electronic or paper copies of the communication, including any attachments.
image001.jpg