Mixed HEAD16 and BODY32 DLP values in same study, and how to report total (e.g. in RDSR)

David Clunie

Dec 6, 2011, 6:21:55 AM12/6/11
to medical-imaging-radiation-dose-informatics
Hi guys

Some scanners allow (DICOM) studies with multiple body parts scanned
(e.g., an adult head and a chest/abdomen/pelvis), and report DLP
values using the appropriately sized (i.e., different) phantom per
acquisition.

Then the question arises as to how a single "total DLP" value is
computed and reported, both in the dose screens and in the RDSR (which
currently allows for only a single total).

I have been working on a DICOM CP for RDSR for this (to allow for
separate per-phantom sub-totals and to report for which phantom the
single total is computed) and discussing it in DICOM WG 21 where the
CT modality vendors hang out, but I wanted to hear from users and 3rd
party producers of RDSRs and consumers of RDSR what their experience
has been with the installed base.

Specifically, I would be interested to know what each of the vendors'
systems currently
do in this respect, e.g,:

- issue 2 separate reports
- allow & report mixed per event phantoms and
- send a total value ignoring the issue
- send a total value that "corrects" for the problem
- always report one phantom even if a body part/FOV would report with
a different phantom if scanned by itself

From the registry (e.g., ACR DIR) perspective, I would imagine that
this would significantly affect the reported numbers for sites that
followed this practice if not specifically accounted for.

See:

"http://idisk.mac.com/dclunie-Public/Dose/
cp_dac175_RDSRHeadBodyTotalDLP2.doc"

and for a sample dose screen from a real case and a crude prototype
RDSR see:

"http://idisk.mac.com/dclunie-Public/Dose/
CleanedHeadAndBodyExampleScreenAndSR20111206.zip"

David