JQuery Load Issue with Widgets in MediaWiki?

datadog

Oct 1, 2016, 8:15:12 AM10/1/16
to MediaWiki Widgets
Hi Folks --

Appreciate any help with this question -- can't seem to find any answers . . .

I'm running MediaWiki 1.26.2, which uses ResourceLoader to load jQuery.

I've defined a function in MediaWiki:Common.Js as below:

    //internal load function
    function testLoad() {$(document).ready(function(){
    $.ajax({
        url:'some_internal_url',
        type:'get',
        dataType:'html',
        success:function(data) {
             alert('testLoad was successful!');}
        })
    });
    }

This function runs fine in the console when I call testLoad(). However, when I try to call if from my app using the Widgets Extension I get either a "$ is not defined" error or a "testLoad is not defined" error. In the first case, I use jQuery in my widget, as below:

    <script src="text/javascript">
    $(document).ready(function(){
    testLoad();
    });
    </script>

and in the second case, I just call my function without jQuery, as below:

    <script src="text/javascript">
    testLoad();
    </script>

I think this has something to do with my scripts loadings before JQuery has loaded, but I'm not sure how to fix it. Maybe I should be using a different extension to load my jQuery/javascript? Many thanks for any ideas.