Discussion with Avery

jamesmi...@googlemail.com

Oct 29, 2009, 4:19:52 PM10/29/09
to mediawiki-vcs
Well Avery and I had a good talk on irc and we came to some conclusions.

1. The existing perl script to convert from an xml file to a git
repository is still needed.
we need additionally a method to regularly extract the changes from
wikipedia, best would be to use the xml dumps,
but for some articles on an infrequent basis we could use the export
feature to pull changes that are newer than the existing data.

2. I want to review the ikiwiki and make sure the repository is
compatible with it, ideally using the same code.

3. being able to make edits in the mediawiki and save to git in
parallel is a quick win.

4 Ideally however we don't need the database layer for the articles if
we use git. We would want to embed the git lib into php for speed so
that we don't need to have to spawn new processes.
this will be a big job, I have no idea how much, but I want to push
that back a bit.

5. We will want to next be able to convert from a git repo into an xml
file and then import that via the normal mechanism on a regular basis.

6. Avery showed me that we can push from the webservers repository to
the web repo without a copy.
mdupont@mdupontdesktop2:/usr/share/mediawiki/VCS/Git/MediaWikiVCS$ git
push g...@mediawikivcs.indefero.net:mediawikivcs/SpecWiki.git master
the problem is that the web server does not have a ssh account and
does not access the web. The pushing to remote would be scheduled on a
cron server.

Thanks to Avery for all his advice,

mike

jamesmi...@googlemail.com

Oct 30, 2009, 5:45:52 AM10/30/09
to mediawiki-vcs
I have ikiwiki now setup :
The wiki files in git, I pushed to here :
http://mediawikivcs.indefero.net/p/ikiwiki/source/tree/master/

The are just a file with the mdwn ending,
i just copied the file Roadmap/Article.txt from my wiki to
RoadMap.mdwn and checked in.

So, now we can transfer content to the ikiwiki from mediawiki via git.

I will spare myself to usage of the mediawiki plugin, because it is so simple.

Now my next step will be to import the entire kosova.wikia into my git
repository from the database dump and to be able to then update it
from the wikipedia sources incrementally.

mike