Search imported metadata?

John Bell

Jan 29, 2014, 5:37:05 PM1/29/14
to media...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm in the process of trying to add some additional site-specific metadata scraping to the bookmarklet, and I seem to be able to get metadata into MediaThread ok. However, once it's in it appears to be read-only info under the "source" tab; I don't see a way to use it for filtering/searching. Is there anywhere in MediaThread that metadata is active?

Thanks,

- John

Susan Dreher

Feb 1, 2014, 8:45:15 AM2/1/14
to media...@googlegroups.com
Hi John -

Apologies for the reply delays. The start of the semester is always a particularly busy time.

The metadata drawn in by the bookmarklet is not integrated into our tagging and vocabulary filtering. Ideally, we'd like to integrate all that information into a more global search system. And, tags and vocabulary marked in an external site via a microdata scheme could also be easily drawn into the system by the bookmarklet and then flow into the filtering mechanisms.

Could you talk about your use cases and give us a sense of how'd you'd like this to work?

Cheers,
Susan

John Bell

Feb 7, 2014, 4:54:53 PM2/7/14
to media...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

No problem, Google's failure to tell me you replied delayed my getting back to you to. :)

We've added a branch in the bookmarklet to import videos and scrape metadata from mirc.sc.edu .  It works great, but all the metadata we're pulling from the source page ends up in a json blob attached to the video in MediaThread. In my ideal world, filter fields would be shown in the interface dynamically based on the metadata that exists in any given collection (or subset of a collection). So, since MIRC has fields for things like Geographical Coverage, as long as they show up in that json blob on import, any collection with a MIRC video in it would have a filter field for Geographical Coverage.

I know this is potentially problematic from a database perspective, but my thought would be to treat any of these metadata fields very naively - as long as the bookmarklet passes a field with some data in it, MediaThread trusts that it is what it says it is. No need to try to normalize between MIRC's Geographical Coverage field and someone else's Latitude and Longitude fields.

Somewhat lower hanging fruit might be to at least designate that a special named field in the JS blob (like, er, "tags") is automatically parsed into MediaThread tags rather than just left in the json blob.

- John

Li Junsong

Mar 20, 2014, 6:16:08 PM3/20/14
to media...@googlegroups.com
Cool. How can you play the video from mirc.sc.edu? Did you special case the MIRC and write code to import video in sherd.js?

I am trying to import from MIRC. The bad thing is that even if I can successfully import video, the "data" field of that object is "None", and I think it is the problem of the supporting code. Since you mentioned that "it works great", I think it may be my problem. Any comments or suggestions? Or maybe you have your javascript code public?

John Bell

Mar 27, 2014, 11:43:35 AM3/27/14
to media...@googlegroups.com
Yes, we added a branch for MIRC to sherd.js. The version we're using is attached.
sherd.js