allow students to create discussions?

steven hodges

Oct 17, 2014, 11:58:27 AM10/17/14
to media...@googlegroups.com
Hi...

I'm sorry to ask what may be an awfully basic question, and I know this may not be quite the right place to ask. But I would like to allow students to create discussions within a class. I assume I'd need to grant the course group that specific privilege, but I'm not sure which privileges to give them -- maybe those are the "threaded comments"  options in Django admin?

Also, I'm not totally sure how the group permissions work -- normally I just create a course group and don't assign any specific permissions -- the default settings seem to work fine. I assume the available options that I can add are in addition to whatever default permissions students have -- is that right?

Thanks for any pointers--

-steve

Susan Dreher

Oct 17, 2014, 12:41:24 PM10/17/14
to media...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve -

Meth is written so that faculty and admin-level users can create discussions. That link is under the Create button on the homepage.

Do you want to alter the code to allow students to create discussion?

afa group permissions -- the defaults should be fine. Are you using the Create Course django admin forms?

Thanks,
Susan

steven hodges

Oct 20, 2014, 1:10:57 PM10/20/14
to media...@googlegroups.com
Hi Susan...

Thanks. I should back up and explain what we're trying to accomplish -- there may be some better way to do it.

We want to allow a "peer review" functionality within Meth (love the short form of the name ;-) and my first thought was that the "discussion" looked like a viable way to accomplish that. In other words, each student could create a composition as a discussion, and other students could then respond to it. But the essence of what we are looking for is a composition that allows feedback within Meth. We're relative newbies with Meth, so maybe my I've overlooking an easier way to do this.

Thanks again--