How can I improve video connectivity?

Eric Mueller

Aug 19, 2019, 3:21:45 AM8/19/19
to mediasoup
Hi all, I have a general question... it's a little bit about technical solutions but I am also looking for general "bigger picture" ideas and solutions.

I run a consumer web chat app that allows many-to-many videoconferencing. This is for NON-technical users and they are literally all over the world with lots of different configs. My users use many different browsers, networks, some are on a VPN, etc. etc. I know that my current configuration is working well for many, but at the same time, some significant % of my customers can't get the video feeds to work. (I know because I get a lot of angry support emails, lol)

Right now I am running a mediasoup v2 server on port 443, on a standalone dedicated server with a public IP, that has all ports completely open.

Because I can't reproduce any problems (everything's working fine for me here), I can't tell you why it is failing for some folks. And because of the wide range of my customers' configurations, I would not be surprise if I am dealing with several different problems that affect different people in different ways. The only 100% definite known problem I have is a customer who says it always fails on VPN but works perfectly when he is not on VPN. So maybe that's the first thing I fix, since it is a tangible, reproducible problem.

The only interesting bits I see in my medaiserver log is "[identifier]:*: disconnected: transport error" soon after someone connects, with no activity in between. There are a few of these which makes me think these are my users that can't get video to connect.

So. Because of all this, I think my best approach is to try to fix the VPN issue and to generally "harden" and improve my whole WebRTC network structure as much as possible. And hope that it will improve the situation for my customers.

That leads me to 3 questions.

1. I assume a TURN server can't hurt and it might help. Does a TURN server always run on port 443 (where I currently have mediasoup) Would it be wise to move my mediasoup to a different port and then add a TURN server on 443? Or run TURN on a different port?

2. Since the VPN problem is the currently the only problem that I can definitely identify/reproduce, how can I fix this issue? I realize this might have more to do with the signaling protocol that comes before mediasoup starts... but would still appreciate ANY mercy/help in approaching this problem!! :-)

3. Any other suggestions for how to generally improve/harden this whole configuration and improve connectivity for my users so their video feeds start working? I'm open to any ideas and happy to throw resources at the problem.

I'm a little stuck and I GREATLY appreciate (and thank you in advance) for your thoughts. I am happy to work hard on this and do my part (and contribute any new knowledge back to this group) but I'm not sure where to start or how to best proceed.

Best regards from Zürich, Switzerland--
Eric

Iñaki Baz Castillo

Aug 19, 2019, 4:32:52 AM8/19/19
to medi...@googlegroups.com
Please, use the mediasoup Discourse Group. This Google group is deprecated.

--
mediasoup
Cutting Edge WebRTC Video Conferencing

https://mediasoup.org

NOTE: This group is deprecated. Use the mediasoup Discourse Group instead:

https://mediasoup.discourse.group
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "mediasoup" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mediasoup/7d5295f9-66e9-4229-9c70-bf577f3a3258%40googlegroups.com.
Message has been deleted