How can I see my modification in production ?

Kathrin Schwarz

Jan 27, 2014, 5:45:55 AM1/27/14
to mediadrop-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
It's my second day with python and pylons ... :-)
I made some modification in mediadrop source and it's look good with "paster serve --reload deployment.ini".
In "production" we use apache and mod_fcgid. After reloading apache, I doesn't see the changes ....
Something goes wrong ..
It would be great if somebody can give me (dummy user)  the right commands

Adam Morris

Jan 28, 2014, 3:13:11 AM1/28/14
to mediadrop-...@googlegroups.com
Doesn't sound like a problem with MediaDrop but a problem with your configuration. The first thing you should do is check the error logs. You might be better off asking a higher traffic list that is more about system administration.

Adam Morris

Jan 28, 2014, 3:14:03 AM1/28/14
to mediadrop-...@googlegroups.com
Also, be sure to include more information than just "I tried it and it doesn't work".

Kathrin Schwarz

Jan 29, 2014, 8:31:21 AM1/29/14
to mediadrop-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for fast reply.
I have try this:

1. Install Mediadrop with mod_fcgid
http://mediadrop.net/docs/install/apache-fastcgi.html
and it is working :-)
for example
http://video.medma.uni-heidelberg.de/media/
( behind firewall)
The path in mediacore.fcgi
#!/opt/video/bin/python
python_egg_cache = '/var/video/data/python-egg-cache'
deployment_config = '/var/video/production.ini'
temp_dir = '/var/video/data/tmp'

2. I activate my virtual environment
source /videotest1/bin/activate

3. I changed the source for example in /controllers/login.py

4. I start mediadrop with
paster serve --reload development.ini
and I can see the changes, everything is OK.

5. Reload apache (/etc/init.d/apache reload/)

6. But I can't see the changes.

It's my first time with python and pylons. Today I get the book "The Definitive Guide to Pylons" from James Gardner.
I hope this help

Adam Morris

Jan 30, 2014, 5:14:18 AM1/30/14
to mediadrop-...@googlegroups.com

* You'll want to reSTART apache, not reload. That's probably the problem.

If you continue to have issues:

* Disable the cache in your web, just in case
* When you edit the controller, is that the same location that apache knows about? Looks like from the instructions it wants you to put it into the docroot. The docroot is actually just the formal name of the directory that apache uses as a source to pass to python.
* What are your apache settings?

Adam