troubleshooting help

Adam Morris

Apr 12, 2013, 7:49:36 AM4/12/13
to mediacore-...@googlegroups.com
Today while working with a teacher and uploading a file to our mediacore installtion, I repeatedly got the same error on a post action in /admin/media/new/add_file:

"upstream prematurely closed connection while reading response header from upstream" I'm using nginx and uwsgi stack.

However, other files worked just fine, just that particular file. So I decided to ignore the content of the error message which seemed to indicate some sort of configuration issue, and did the usual troubleshooting things like restarted the teacher's machine and tried to upload using other machines. We even tried changing the name of the file. Same exact error in the log whenever we tried to upload the file. From the front-end, what we saw is that the progress bar went to 100% and just as it was about to report that it had been successfully uploaded, I instead got a generic error message.

Then I simply used HandBrake to transcode it to another "format", worked the first time no problems.

Is there something potententially in the file that would cause the connection to prematurely close? Wrong headers, something like this? I have a feeling I'm completely ignorant about something kinda important here.

Felix Schwarz

Apr 12, 2013, 7:51:49 AM4/12/13
to mediacore-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adam,

Am 12.04.2013 13:49, schrieb Adam Morris:
> Then I simply used HandBrake to transcode it to another "format", worked the first time no problems.
>
> Is there something potententially in the file that would cause the connection to prematurely close? Wrong headers, something like this? I have a feeling I'm completely ignorant about something kinda important here.

Actually MediaCore is completely agnostic to the file content so I don't have
a real idea either.

Can you share the video file (also privately) so I can test this on a vanilla
MediaCore CE?

fs

Felix Schwarz

Apr 12, 2013, 7:53:12 AM4/12/13
to mediacore-...@googlegroups.com

one thing to watch out for of course is file size. Depending on your
configuration you may run into timeouts if a file is much larger than others
or so. But I guess you thought of that already.

Adam Morris

Apr 13, 2013, 3:26:14 AM4/13/13
to mediacore-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, thought of that. :)

Felix Schwarz

Apr 14, 2013, 5:15:18 PM4/14/13
to mediacore-...@googlegroups.com

Well, as I expected I can upload the file (at least to me local test instance)
just fine using Chrome...

Maybe you could turn on MediaCore's logging and maybe add a few debug log
statements?