Summary of May 5 meeting

Karen Unland

May 5, 2010, 10:30:09 PM5/5/10
to MediaCamp Edmonton
Here's a rundown of what we discussed at Wednesday's meeting, the last
one before the big event. Bruce Winter, Jeff Samsonow, Mack Male, Jas
Darrah, Alain Saffel, Debra Ward and Sylvia Schneider were there as
well, so they can correct me if I'm wrong. This also includes some
thoughts that occurred to me as I typed -- be particularly sure to
correct me if I'm wrong on any of that!

1. Sponsorship and lunch
No angel sponsors with deep pockets have come forward, and
registration has been unexpectedly high, so we will not offer lunch.
Mack will amend the EventBrite and website accordingly, and the
reminder email he sends out on Thursday will make this clear to the
participants (who number about 180!).

Jeff will talk to the Shaw and we will spend our leftover sponsorship
money (about $750 once the sound is paid for) on more coffee and
snacks.

The email and website will also suggest nearby places to get lunch.
Mack has the list we brainstormed.

We will extend the lunch period from 45 minutes to 1 hour and 15
minutes to allow people enough time to eat and get back, and we will
cut the fifth tier of sessions to ensure we still get done around 4
p.m.

2. Creating a record
Aside from the lunch news, Mack's email to participants will let
people know there is wi-fi and encourage them to record the event for
posterity by video, audio, blogging, tweeting, Flickring, etc. This
will hopefully encourage some people to help Alain record the event;
it will also serve as a heads-up to those who may not be used to being
"live" all the time.

Debra will make nametags in advance for those who have registered; if
she has the wi-fi info in time, she can put that on the nametags so
people have it with them.

The Journal will livestream the panel discussion at
edmontonjournal.com, and the embed code for the event will be
available to anyone who wants it. Karen will check on whether that
livestream creates a permanent archive that we can have posted on the
MediaCamp and Journal websites.

George, have any students taken up our offer to document the day? If
so, you and Alain should talk about how to co-ordinate that.

3. Set-up
Salon 12 will be open at 7:30 a.m. Bruce and others will be there.
Mack and Jas are bringing projectors, and Mack is bringing a screen.
Bruce and Debra will get the leftover ChangeCamp materials there. For
troubleshooting and last-minute futzing, it would be prudent for
organizers to be at the venue by 8 a.m.

Bruce has Tamara Stecyk, Kerry Powell and Chelsey Smith lined up to
run the registration table. (Brit is somehow involved in this too,
right?) The point of the registration table is to keep track of who
came and make sure we have email addresses to follow up with.

We are aiming to have the sponsors' logos visible behind the panelists
during the intro and panel. There was some discussion of whether there
would be a Twitterfall visible throughout and if so where -- we'll
figure that out on Saturday morning based on the layout and whether
projecting onto the wall will work.

Jeff will make sure the Shaw sets up enough chairs -- our initial
request was for fewer than we'll need.

In the morning we should put a card on every seat to make it easy for
people to pitch sessions.

Panelists will receive Unknown Studio mugs and a little something from
The Journal by way of thanks.

4. Welcoming, explaining, proceeding
After registration, the program begins at 10 a.m. Owen Brierley had
volunteered to be the Voice. (Owen, are you still on for that? Let us
know!)

If Owen is not available, Bruce and Jas will step in. Jas is also the
Gridmaster and may need some help organizing the pitches.

The Voice will welcome the participants and thank our sponsors.
Jennifer from the Shaw will make brief remarks. The voice will then
explain the way an unconference works (you get out of it what you put
in, participants lead the sessions, vote with your feet and don't be
offended if others do so, don't talk more than your fair share of the
time). He will then invite people to think about what they'd like to
pitch while they listen to our panel.

I will introduce and moderate the panel. My questions will be "What do
you want to learn today?" and "What can you teach someone in this room
today?" I will email these questions to the panelists in advance so
they can prepare. After their brief answers, we'll open it up to
questions. Bruce will get the mike to people in the audience. If there
are no questions from the floor, I'll have other questions to ask.

Then we'll invite session pitches. We ask that committee members come
prepared to pitch at least one topic, maybe more. With this many
attendees, we need to have several simultaneous sessions going or the
groups will be so big no one will be able to hear. Theoretically, you
can lead up to four discussions, as long as Jas doesn't double-book
you.

The Voice will keep people moving between sessions and call lunch.
After lunch, we'll have lightning talks at the front, where the panel
was. Mack has lined up some people, and if others wish to come forward
on the day, he'll slot them in.

We'll move on to the rest of the sessions, then The Voice will wrap it
up with another thank you to our sponsors and an invitation to visit
the website in the coming days for a record of the event. If time
permits, maybe we'll ask people if they got out of it what they hoped
and if they'd like to do it again next year. Mack will also email
participants after the event, to remind them to visit the website and
survey them on whether they'd attend again and what could be improved.

5. Hacks and Flacks
Jas has had enough RSVPs to proceed with Friday night's mixer from 6
to 8 p.m. at Metro Billiards. He is still hoping to get a few more
reporters there, as it's heavier on flacks than hacks.

That's all I can think of. If I have asked you a question in this
super-long email, please respond, either here or to me directly at
kun...@thejournal.canwest.com.

Mack D. Male

May 6, 2010, 2:05:11 AM5/6/10
to MediaCamp Edmonton
Website and Eventbrite have been updated!

On May 5, 8:30 pm, Karen Unland <kunl...@thejournal.canwest.com>
wrote:
> kunl...@thejournal.canwest.com.

Owen

May 6, 2010, 5:42:43 PM5/6/10
to MediaCamp Edmonton
Hey Karen and everyone,

I have been struggling to deal with a quandary. I would love to be the
VOICE on Saturday, but I have also been asked to judge the Heritage
Fair at the Alberta Legislature on Saturday morning. They are short on
judges.

So, if Bruce and Jay are happy to run with being the VOICE on
Saturday, I think I will spend the morning judging Heritage Fair
entries, and then join you folks for the afternoon.

Sorry for not following through on this, it wasn't for a lack of
want...

All the best,
Owen

wrote:
> kunl...@thejournal.canwest.com.

George Siemens

May 6, 2010, 5:45:23 PM5/6/10
to mediacamp...@googlegroups.com
Hi all -

Karen - do you know the payee of the TEKRI sponsorship? does mediacamp have a bank account?

I may not be at the venue on Sat, things a bit unsettled at the moment.

George

Unland, Karen (Edm Journal)

May 6, 2010, 7:45:46 PM5/6/10
to mediacamp...@googlegroups.com

No worries, Owen. We can adjust. We'll be happy to see you in the afternoon, with your head full of history. And thank you again for your sponsorship!

Unland, Karen (Edm Journal)

May 6, 2010, 7:48:35 PM5/6/10
to mediacamp...@googlegroups.com

Hi, George. Jeff will be in touch for the money (and thank you again for that!). Sorry you might not make it Saturday. Hope you can catch a bit of the livestream and Twitter chatter, if nothing else.