What do we mean by an Open API?

Simon Carter

Feb 18, 2013, 7:25:53 PM2/18/13
to mede...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

I've been having a discussion with Nathan about what constitutes an Open API.

Do we mean documented?

Do we mean version controlled, so systems know what to expect?

Do we mean community-based? (but preferably not - 'designed by committee')

Do we mean that it is designed in a technically-competent manner?

Do we mean that we can extract ALL our data at any future time? ie no lock-in

Do we mean trusting the intentions of the organization putting it out there?

Do we mean that it will change to cope with new data requirements?

ManageBGL has a well-documented REST API (https://www.managebgl.com/api/api-REST.html), with full export capability.

Having compared this to https://github.com/thedamon/opendatabetes/blob/master/DataFormat.md, I can see several fields we could add, and a lot missing from github as well.

We can certainly align ManageBGL's API more closely with the needs identified in github.

Would that work for everyone?

Regards,

Simon Carter,
DataMystic.com in Melbourne, Australia
  +61.3.9913.0595 (GMT+10 hours)  Skype:datamystic
Know any Insulin-Dependent Diabetics? Send them to ManageBGL.com