Interactive Dexcom data with D3

Jana Beck

Aug 19, 2013, 10:09:52 PM8/19/13
to mede...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I've been learning my way around D3 (the hot new JavaScript data visualization library, for those not in the know) in the past few months, and I've put together a couple of visualizations of weekly-batched Dexcom data that I thought I'd share here.

The first is a horizontal histogram showing the distribution of blood glucose values for a given week, where the BG values are binned in 20-unit increments. You can use the 'Previous Week' and 'Next Week' buttons to flip through the weeks of data (the file it's loading currently is all the data from my G4 Dexcom receiver).

The second and third visualizations are heat maps of the same data: by hour of day and by day of week. I'm still playing with the animated transitions on these, and I'm not happy with D3's native method of interpolating frequency data as color, so I'm hoping to improve that as well.

Comments/reactions welcome!

Best,

Jana

P.S. I'm also going to be writing up something about the details of the D3 for these on my blog soon, if anyone's curious about the nitty-gritty details.

P.P.S. I tried to put the first of these up as a gist on bl.ocks.org once, but there was some difficulty (of precisely what nature, I can't remember...). So if you want to see the code, you'll have to look at the d3 branch in my iPancreas repo on GitHub.

Benjamin West

Aug 19, 2013, 10:34:50 PM8/19/13
to Jana Beck, MeDevice List
Howdy Jana,

This looks awesome.

For the color issue, try something like this:

var
z = d3.scale.linear() .domain([0, 160]) .range(["white", "purple"]) .interpolate(d3.interpolateLab);
The interpolateLab will produce nicer colors.
-bewest

sara krugman

Aug 20, 2013, 12:01:27 PM8/20/13
to Benjamin West, Jana Beck, MeDevice List
Thats awesome :)

Sara Krugman

Line
Health Care Design Studio

skype:  skrugman
email:   sa...@linehq.com
web:     linehq.com

Simon Carter

Aug 20, 2013, 10:02:55 PM8/20/13
to mede...@googlegroups.com
HI Jana,

Looks great - especially like the horizontal histogram and the weekly heatmap. Is Sunday your chocolate day?

We just added heatmaps and the first 4 of 6 cgms-type charts to ManageBGL.com, so people stuck on a Mac without DEXCOM software can get great data out of these.

Simon