Megamorphic virtual call optimization in Java

r r

Feb 5, 2022, 6:26:54 AM2/5/22
to mechanical-sympathy
Hello,
we know that there are some techniques that make virtual calls not so expensive in JVM like Inline Cache or Polymorphic Inline Cache.

Let's consider the following situation:

Base is an interface.

public void f(Base[] b) {
    for(int i = 0; i < b.length; i++) {
          b[i].m();
    }
}

I see from my profiler that calling virtual (interface) method is relatively expensive.
f is on the hot path and it was compiled to machine code (C2) but I see that call to m is a real virtual call. It means that it was not optimised by JVM.

The question is, how to deal with a such situation? Obviously, I cannot make the method m not virtual here because it requires a serious redesign.

Can I do anything or I have to accept it? I was thinking how to "force" or "convince" a JVM to

1. use polymorphic inline cache here - the number of different types in b is quite low - between 4-5 types.
2. to unroll this loop - length of b is also relatively small. After an unroll it is possible that Inline Cache will be helpful here.

Thanks in advance for any advices.
Regards,

Greg Young

Feb 5, 2022, 6:30:38 AM2/5/22
to mechanica...@googlegroups.com
which jvm?

Studying for the Turing test

r r

Feb 5, 2022, 6:35:31 AM2/5/22
to mechanical-sympathy
JVM 11+ (OpenJDK / Zulu)

Remi Forax

Feb 5, 2022, 6:46:18 AM2/5/22
to mechanical-sympathy
I've recently implemented a small library for that kind of stuff.

The idea is to see b[i].m() or f(Base[] b) as a method call and extract constants from that method call, the library allows you to choose if a value is a constant or f(value) is a constant (in case of the array Base[].length is a constant) and to decide the policy when it's not a real constant (fail, use a monomorphic inlining cache or use a polymorphic inlining cache).

It uses java.lang.invoke under the hood so everything tend to be inlined.

Thanks in advance for any advices.
Regards,

regards,
Rémi

Gil Tene

Feb 5, 2022, 12:38:11 PM2/5/22
to mechanical-sympathy
You might want to give it a spin on Prime (Zing) 11 and see what you get, the Falcon JIT in Prime will do polymorphic guarded in-line caching for up to 6 implementers by default, I believe (as is configurable to higher if needed). This is exactly the sort of thing that capability is meant for.

r r

Feb 8, 2022, 6:51:25 AM2/8/22
to mechanical-sympathy
Thanks for your responses :)