Re: Digest for mechanical-sympathy@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

Assigned to dr.aygun...@gmail.com by me

Gregory Golberg

Jul 25, 2021, 9:04:46 PM7/25/21
to mechanica...@googlegroups.com
Xs e d

On Sat, Feb 6, 2016, 6:06 AM <mechanica...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Matt Godbolt <ma...@godbolt.org>: Feb 05 02:58PM

Hi Matt,

A quick reply: thanks again for the link! My reading list is significantly
backed up now :)

For now I'm going to concentrate on honing my technique and scripts on the
Arrendale - mainly as it's a computer I have available even when I'm
commuting (which is where I get most of the time for this!). Once I'm
comfortable explaining branch prediction there, I'll move on to the Sandy,
Ivy and Haswell: each of which has significant BP improvements.

I'm also first starting on interpreting the BTB size - under the assumption
that there's no taken/not-taken information stored there; and that a miss
in the BTB always causes one of the "BP failure" counters to tick up. At
least on Arrendale/Westmere, there's a bunch of counters for this; early
ones where the decoder spots a branch the BTB failed to notice, for
example. I have a ton of notes and thoughts; I'll probably write up
something over the next few days and post it here (or a link to a blog post
or similar).

Thanks, Matt (G) :)

You have received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.