How to add an atom to a residue of a given universe, ore replace a residue

Paolus

Nov 4, 2023, 6:16:08 AM11/4/23
to MDnalysis discussion
Hi all,
I am wondering if it is possible to add an atom to a residue. The situation is the following:

- I am reading a simulation trajectory involving deprotonated residues
- For a given time of the trajectory, I want to write a PDB file, but with an added hydrogen
   for a certain number of deprotonated residues.

I know how to save a .pdb file for the given trajectory at a given time, no problem with that. But I want to modify the universe of the trajectory to replace one given deprotonated residue with a protonated one. This implies adding an atom and eventually a few topological elements to this universe. I found that it is possible to add topologies, such as bonds, dihedrals, bending etc, but I can't add an atom or replace a given residue?

Is this even possible?

Thanks
Paulus

Micaela Matta

Nov 14, 2023, 5:02:52 AM11/14/23
to MDnalysis discussion
Hi Paulus,

yes, it's possible to modify atoms in a Universe. Have a look at the examples here:

Micaela