Want to share my GSoC proposal draft

Aditya Kamath

Apr 1, 2021, 2:51:22 PM4/1/21
to MDnalysis-devel
Hi GSoC mentors!
I have completed my GSoC proposal's first draft (based on project #5). I know that you may have suggestions on it. Just wondering if I should share it here or another medium?

Best Wishes,
Aditya Kamath
PhD Candidate, Queen's University

Lily Wang

Apr 1, 2021, 2:55:11 PM4/1/21
to mdnalys...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aditya,

Here is fine — many applicants share a Google Doc so that mentors can make comments directly in the document.

Cheers,
Lily

Aditya Kamath

Apr 1, 2021, 3:01:00 PM4/1/21
to mdnalys...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Lily!
I have drafted it on Overleaf (LaTeX). I hope it's fine! I guess you can also comment on it like you would on a Google Doc.

Best Wishes,
Aditya

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "MDnalysis-devel" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mdnalysis-devel/AEA8FA98-891B-44A6-A365-B594A090957B%40minium.com.au.

ialibay

Apr 3, 2021, 10:45:45 AM4/3/21
to MDnalysis-devel
Hi Aditya,

Thanks for sharing this.

>  I guess you can also comment on it like you would on a Google Doc.
Unfortunately it's my first time using overleaf, I can't seem to be able to work out how to do that?

- Irfan

Aditya Kamath

Apr 3, 2021, 10:59:15 AM4/3/21
to mdnalys...@googlegroups.com
Hi Irfan,
Thanks for pointing that out! That's my mistake, I'll need to give you write access to make comments. You should receive an email on your MDAnalysis email inbox to do that!

I am sorry that I didn't think of using a Google Doc, it's just that it's easier to format linear algebra equations in LaTeX. If other mentors want to access this and be able to comment, I can send them invites as well.

Alternatively, I can reformat my document to a Google Doc, but it'll take some time to write the equations again.

Best Wishes,
Aditya

ialibay

Apr 3, 2021, 11:05:11 AM4/3/21
to MDnalysis-devel
> Alternatively, I can reformat my document to a Google Doc, but it'll take some time to write the equations again.

It's up to you, but if you can't turn on group permissions for reviewing, you'll have to enable access for all the mentors. Just trying to think of a quick solution, it _might_ be less messy to just have the text in the google doc and just a link that refers back to the overleaf document for the equations?

Aditya Kamath

Apr 3, 2021, 11:20:43 AM4/3/21
to mdnalys...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good, I've made a quick transfer. However, mentors might need to refer to the overleaf doc I sent as well

Let me know if you need any more clarification! :)

Best Regards,
Aditya

orbeckst

Apr 7, 2021, 6:02:52 PM4/7/21
to MDnalysis-devel
Hi Aditya,

I commented on your proposal.

I recommend you try out what you can submit as your actual proposal through GSoC. One of last year's students (and now one of our mentors) said it was just a Google Form with plain text. No formatting.

I suggest that if you need equations you write them as LaTeX ... we can read that and format it in our head (at least if they are clearly written and don't use fancy macros).

As far as I am concerned, you may also include a link to an external formatted PDF but be aware that we don't have to look at it. We *might* decide to take it into consideration but ultimately, we want the submitted proposal to stand on its own feet. It's your job as the applicant to write a compelling proposal within the limitations that you're provided (which is similar to writing proposals for research grants or fellowships...).

Oliver

Aditya Kamath

Apr 9, 2021, 6:35:22 PM4/9/21
to mdnalys...@googlegroups.com
Hi Oliver,
I want to thank you again for your time and effort in reviewing my proposal. I indeed believe I have a lot to improve upon. I've started my GSoC application through their website and I see the Google Doc options you talk about. I'll  try to format the Google Doc and change it as per your comments as soon as possible.

Bests,
Aditya

Aditya Kamath

Apr 9, 2021, 6:35:26 PM4/9/21
to mdnalys...@googlegroups.com
Hi Oliver,
I've submitted my second draft for review through the GSoC portal, mentors would have got the Google Doc link through their portal. :)

This year, it looks like the Google Summer of Code system allows me to upload a document (.pdf) as my final proposal.
However, right now I am sticking to plain text with some minor formatting and will avoid inserting images.

I have tried to address most of your comments. My application may not be able to address all concerns that you have given the time constraints
on submission. However, if there are some major issues you feel need addressing. I am happy to change my draft during the weekend before submission.

Thanks again for the consideration!
Aditya

Lily Wang

Apr 9, 2021, 6:36:02 PM4/9/21
to mdnalys...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Aditya, your emails got caught in the spam filter. I’ve just let them through now.

Cheers,
Lily

Aditya Kamath

Apr 9, 2021, 6:43:32 PM4/9/21
to mdnalys...@googlegroups.com
No worries Lily,

Thanks for looking into my proposal,
Aditya

Aditya Kamath

Apr 9, 2021, 6:46:50 PM4/9/21
to mdnalys...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I don't want to rush anyone, but I was wondering if there were any comments on this proposal as the deadline to submit this just shy of a week!

Best Regards,
Aditya