GSoC Introduction

Katherine Rogacheva

Apr 1, 2021, 12:58:23 AM4/1/21
to MDnalysis-devel
Hello Everyone!

My name is Katherine Rogacheva but you all can call me Kat. I am a freshman at the University of California, Santa Cruz as a Robotics Engineering major. I am currently taking python and linear algebra which is why I got so excited to see the General unit cell representation project. I am really looking forward to putting my new skills to real world use! This is my first time participating in GSoC so I was wondering how detailed does out proposal need to be?

Thank you so much!

Lily Wang

Apr 1, 2021, 3:07:44 PM4/1/21
to mdnalys...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kat,

Welcome to MDAnalysis and GSoC! To get you started, we recommend that you get familiar with MDAnalysis (see the blog post https://www.mdanalysis.org/2021/03/09/gsoc2021/ and the FAQ https://github.com/MDAnalysis/mdanalysis/wiki/GSoC-FAQ). We recommend to do the Quickstart Tutorial and read the User Guide to get a better sense of what MDAnalysis does and how it is used. Then work on an issue — we ask all GSoC applicants to have a merged contribution to MDAnalysis.

Your proposal should explain how you will carry out your project and any background research you have done. We encourage you to show us your proposal early so we can give comments and ask questions. We’re also happy to talk about projects when you have specific questions. Could you please let us know your GitHub handle? This way we can consolidate any issues/PRs you contribute to with this introduction and any other interactions we have with you on the developers list.

Cheers,
Lily

Lily Wang

Apr 5, 2021, 9:04:30 PM4/5/21
to mdnalys...@googlegroups.com, krog...@ucsc.edu
Dear Kat,

This is just a reminder that the deadline for applications is April 13th. We do not seem to have any merged pull requests from you (which is a requirement for the MDAnalysis application process). If you are still interested, please do open a pull request as soon as possible. We have pointers to resources at the user guide (https://userguide.mdanalysis.org/stable/contributing_code.html#), blog post (https://www.mdanalysis.org/2021/03/09/gsoc2021/) and FAQ (https://github.com/MDAnalysis/mdanalysis/wiki/GSoC-FAQ).

Feel free to share your draft application too and we'll try to give feedback before the deadline.

Cheers,

Lily