ID help

Jack Saba

Jun 10, 2024, 12:56:08 PMJun 10
to MDLepsOdes
Showed up in my yard in Berwyn Heights (PG County) yesterday. Wouldn't stay still for more than a few seconds. My best guess is a Cloudless Sulphur, but am no longer sure because the pink border on the wings seems stronger than in any of the pictures I've seen , and the cheeks(?) are green. Also, other pictures did not show a line of brown spots paralleling the back edge of the wings. For scale, the flowers (tickseed coreopsis) are about 1" across.
Phoebis-sennae_Cloudless-Sulphur_MAYBE_1527.JPG

Rick Borchelt

Jun 10, 2024, 1:01:06 PMJun 10
to mdlep...@googlegroups.com
Orange Sulphur.  If you see ANY orange, it's an orange sulphur.  Clouded would be uniformly pale yellow, and Cloudless would lack the row of submarginal spots on both both wings.

On Mon, Jun 10, 2024 at 12:56 PM Jack Saba <jlsa...@gmail.com> wrote:
Showed up in my yard in Berwyn Heights (PG County) yesterday. Wouldn't stay still for more than a few seconds. My best guess is a Cloudless Sulphur, but am no longer sure because the pink border on the wings seems stronger than in any of the pictures I've seen , and the cheeks(?) are green. Also, other pictures did not show a line of brown spots paralleling the back edge of the wings. For scale, the flowers (tickseed coreopsis) are about 1" across.

Rick Borchelt
College Park, MD
preferred personal email:  rborchelt |AT| gmail |DOT| com

http://leplog.wordpress.com

Jack Saba

Jun 10, 2024, 1:15:37 PMJun 10
to mdlep...@googlegroups.com, Rick Borchelt