Henry's Elfin viridissima (Henry's Green Elfin)

Rick Borchelt

Apr 1, 2023, 8:54:14 PM4/1/23
to <mdlepsodes@googlegroups.com>
Since Harry P described it in 1998, we still have a very poor understanding of where this subspecies occurs in MD (as opposed to the nominotypical brown Henry's Elfin).  The only definitive viridissimas in iNat are Tim Reichard's from Patuxent North Tract (https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/11295129).

I'd like folks to keep an eye out for this green ssp, especially on the Eastern Shore and lower Western Shore, and especially where the substrate is sandy (and where the presumed host plant is American holly; henrici uses redbud as you go west toward the mountains).  My hunch is it will be flying in similar habitat as American Holly Azure.

At issue is whether this is a butterfly of conservation concern in MD as we begin thinking about the next iteration of Maryland's RTE species.

--
Rick Borchelt
College Park, MD

http://leplog.wordpress.com
.Pavulaan 1998 description of I viridissima_Maryland Entomologist.pdf.icloud

Timothy Reichard

Apr 2, 2023, 12:04:09 PM4/2/23
to mdlep...@googlegroups.com
That very green individual is part of a population at Patuxent Research Refuge North Tract near the junction of Kingfisher Road and South Road, both roads open to the public when the refuge is open.  Most members of the population don't have many green scales but could be in the same subspecies viridissima.  I find the non-green forms to be difficult to identify to subspecies.

When looking at Henry's Elfins that are not very green at all, what's the latest on subspecies diagnosis by sight or a good live photo? Or (where permitted) from a collected specimen?

Tim Reichard

Harry Pavulaan

Apr 2, 2023, 2:06:21 PM4/2/23
to mdlep...@googlegroups.com

Rick, all:

The distribution of the green phenotype of Henry’s Elfin, the “Greenish Henry’s Elfin”, is something that yet needs to be refined.  When I described it, the range of the subspecies, in its purest form, was confined to the N.C. Outer Banks.  There, most individuals have the green highlights, and I have (or had) one individual about as green as a Juniper Hairstreak.  Some are still mostly brown.  As one moves north into the Chesapeake Bay/Delmarva Peninsula region the green phenotype is present but the brown phenotype starts to blend in.  Over many years, Nanticoke WMA in Delaware seemed to be the stronghold for the green phenotype on the Delmarva, and I would include that area within the range of viridissima, if one wanted to delineate a line between subspecies.  But in this case, there is no clear-cut line between the two phenotypes.  So there is a broad “blend zone” in Maryland where the green phenotype diminishes as one moves onto the western shore.  It would be interesting for someone to spend a morning (when they are most active) at different locations and document percentages and degrees of green.  I did include that information in my 1998 paper, but information was limited to collected specimens in my possession and in museum collections.  With online posting of images (i.e. iNaturalist) it is possible to get a better idea of distributions.

My favorite locations were at Cedarville State Forest, where Henry’s Elfin can be abundant around the hollies, and at the radio tower site at the county facility off Route 50, just north of Riva.  The presence of the green phenotype is variable.  Some years I’ve found many just as green as those on the Outer Banks, other years, most were brown, but many had faint traces of green.  The green phenotype can occur north into southern New Jersey (Cape May area) and I’ve found them in Fairfax County.  I once even found one in Green Ridge State Forest, but there, the dark brown phenotype (nominate henrici) is dominant.  Interestingly, when one moves immediately inland from the Outer Banks, or southward along the coast, the greenish phenotype drops off very quickly.  There it is replaced by the chestnut-brown (underside) Callophrys henrici yahwehus.  I have never found the green phenotype in interior North Carolina, though I’m sure some individuals are there.

So the point here is that there is a broad blend zone between subspecies viridissima and nominate henrici.  I associate viridissima with American Holly forests on the coastal plain and stands of Yaupon Holly along the coast.  Dale Schweitzer once commented that he believed the range of viridissima should be considered to encompass the brown forms found in the Chesapeake Bay region, which differ from the nominate inland phenotype.  They are lighter brown than the deep chocolate brown (underside) henrici that feeds on Redbud inland.  Interestingly, they are scarce around Redbud, but common around American Holly.  Yet a study by Gordon Pratt demonstrated that Holly is not a very good hostplant for them, and Redbud is ideal.  My feeling is that the green phenotype is an evolutionary adaptation to the evergreen Hollies.  Brown phenotypes are more easily picked off by predatory insects (Odes, flies, etc.), and green ones are harder to see.

Interestingly, greenish individuals do appear from time to time throughout the range of Henry’s Elfin, but they are rather an aberrant color variant.  Perhaps nature “testing” the ecosystem to see if the green phenotype would be better for survival.  Perhaps not, where the trees are still not leafed out when Henry’s is flying.  One would almost think a pink phenotype might be ideal, around Redbud trees.  There is a stand of Redbuds in Balls Bluff Park in Leesburg, VA., but I have only seen two there since 2004, and not around the Redbuds!  Those were brown phenotypes.

I don’t think the butterfly is of conservation concern in Maryland, beyond the impact of potential widespread aerial spraying for Gypsy Moths, that would certainly wipe them (and all lepidoptera) out.  But I would recommend monitoring and documentation of the green phenotype.  Should any particular location be identified with dominant green phenotypes, over a period of several years, those areas should be considered for some sort of conservation (no aerial spray, no forest clearing).  Nanticoke WMA in southwestern Delaware is one such location.

Harry

P.S.:  If anyone gets down to the Outer Banks this month, Nag’s Head Woods Preserve might be the ideal place to find them.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Rick Borchelt

Apr 2, 2023, 3:24:16 PM4/2/23
to mdlep...@googlegroups.com
This afternoon I am along the Nanticoke in Wicomico Co, where I have historically had my earliest henrici. All browns. No redbud but abundant American Holly.

waltp...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2023, 4:20:45 PM4/2/23
to MDLepsOdes
I have taken pictures of Henry's with green scales along the fire road trail in the southern part of the Patuxent Research Refuge.
Haven't seen any there in recent years.
I may have seen them in the powerline right of way as well.

Walter Gould

photo from April 17, 2005 Patuxent Research Refuge, fire road trail
DSC_0011 ps cr sh.jpg

Judy Gallagher

Apr 4, 2023, 4:21:41 PM4/4/23
to mdlep...@googlegroups.com

Most years I see Henry's with green scales at Meadowood SRMA in southern Fairfax County, Virginia, but they're mixed in with more Henry's that don't have green scales.

Judy

henryselfin204052020cropped.jpg