Gambrill SP 6/1/24

Jeff Cagle

Jun 2, 2024, 7:35:25 PMJun 2
to MDLepsOdes
I hit up the Tea Room area and the area near the split with Tower Road hoping for Hobomok Skipper, Appalachian Azure and maybe some late-flying Dreamy Duskywing or Indian Skipper.  The Black Cohosh is putting on buds right now.  There seem to be a fair number of young plants, which is nice.

Spicebush ST: 1
Dark ST, either Spicebush or Pipevine: 1
Eastern Tiger ST: 1
Cabbage White: 10 ish.  They were large!
Hobomok: 2
Azure: 2 - both decent candidates for Appy by size and proximity to Black Cohosh

Dreamys were not to be seen, and there was a gate barring the way along Gambrill Park Road that prevented me from getting to the Indian Skipper site (unless I've forgotten where it is, entirely possible).

Kathy Barylski

Jun 4, 2024, 5:16:32 PMJun 4
to mdlep...@googlegroups.com

I was up Saturday as well. Went to the Towers and Sand Flats. One Hobomok at the Towers. Also large Azures I assumed were Appalachian. A brief look at an Edwards Hairstreak at Sand Flats. The only dark swallowtails were Spicebush. No Indian skippers, or any skippers for that matter, at Sand Flats.
Yes, the upper section of Gambrill Park Rd has been gated due to numerous problems. I haven't been in the Indian skipper area in several years as the Appalachian mound ants took over and are aggressive.
Also, the Fly Poison patches are in full bloom.

Rick Borchelt

Jun 4, 2024, 5:38:18 PMJun 4
to mdlep...@googlegroups.com
Kathy, I'm not sure what Indian Skipper area you (and for that matter, Jeff) were talking about, since I've always had them at Sand Flat.

--
Rick Borchelt
College Park, MD

http://leplog.wordpress.com

Kathy Barylski

Jun 5, 2024, 12:16:55 AMJun 5
to mdlep...@googlegroups.com
I think it was gate R10 at the "top" of Gambrill Park Rd. 6 to 9 years ago, I found 20+ up there.

Jeff Cagle

Jun 20, 2024, 10:31:22 PMJun 20
to MDLepsOdes
I went to Sand Flats on Jun 10.  It was the spot that I was trying to remember.   Found no Edwards' HS and no Indian Skipper *sniff* but had a good time.   Found some Appy cats on the road near the Tea Room.

Obs: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?on=2024-06-10&place_id=any&subview=map&user_id=jrcagle&verifiable=any