Patuxent Research Refuge on June 4, 14 & 16th

odona...@comcast.net

Jun 17, 2024, 10:39:27 AMJun 17
to mdlep...@googlegroups.com
So far this month I have visited the Refuge on three separate days covering a variety of habitats on the Central and North Tracts.  What prompted this email more than anything else was to let everyone know that the Somatochlorans are on the wing.  Somatochlora linearis, tenebrosa and provocans are currently flying together over the South Road near the junction of Kingfisher drive (just south of Rieve's pond on the North Tract).  Years ago, I named this stretch of South Road "Somatochloran alley" due to the tendence for feeding swarms to form over the road around this time of the year.  It has been my experience that the swarm's height over the road likely reflects the optimal temperature at which the dragonflies find comfortable.  Early in the morning, say around 9:00 they may be flying at head height while later on when the temperature rises, they fly much higher, so check high over your head when the temperatures start to warm up.  Even when they are high up, they will, if they spot prey lower down or get in a tassel with one of their own, come down to head level.  Your best bet for positive identification is to wait until they perch (usually after taking a meal) using binoculars.   There are subtle differences between the two species even in flight, but it is often difficult to do so, especially if not familiar with separating the three species.

Butterfly numbers seem low, but the summer dragonflies are doing well, and you should get a good variety of species at the ponds.  Laura's Clubtail cast skins are starting to show up on the Little Patuxent River – hopefully more will emerge over the next couple of weeks.

Odonata seen:
Ebony Jewelwings --40+
American Rubyspots – 5
Powdered Dancers – 3 – Although abundant on the Potomac, it has been only in the past decade or so that they can be found in good numbers on the Little Patuxent River -- See:  Powdered Dancer on the Little Patuxent River | Male Powdered… | Flickr
Azure Bluets – 7
Skimming Bluet – 1
Fragile Forktails – 22+
Sphagnum Sprites – 3
Unicorn Clubtails – 3
Lancet Clubtails – 3
Ashy Clubtails – 4
Dragonhunter – 1 (cast skin only)
Common Sanddragons – 7 adults 2 cast skins – See: Female Common Sanddragon | Female Common Sanddragon Patuxent… | Flickr
Laura's Clubtails – 2 (cast skins only) – See: Cast Skins of Laura's Clubtail & Dragonhunter | Laura's Club… | Flickr
Russet-tipped Clubtail – 1 (cast skin only)
Common Green Darners – 2
Swamp Darners – 10
Cyrano Darners -- 9
*Mocha Emeralds – 2
*Treetop Emeralds – 2
*Clamp-tipped Emeralds – 4
Calico Pennants – 4
Banded Pennants -- 2
Double-ringed Pennants – 4
Eastern Pondhawks – 30+
Spangled Skimmers – 60+
Yellow-sided Skimmers – 3
Slaty Skimmers – 43+
Widow Skimmer – 1
Golden-winged Skimmers – 2
Painted Skimmers – 13
Common Whitetails – 13
Blue Dashers – 100+
Elfin Skimmers – 60+
Carolina Saddlebags – 2

* At least a dozen additional Somatochlorans were seen in flight but could not identify to species.

Butterflies seen:
Zebra Swallowtails – 2
Spicebush Swallowtail – 1
Cabbage Whites – 2
Cloudless Sulphur – 1 – my first for the year at the Refuge
Eastern Tailed Blue – 1
Pearl Crescent – 1
Red Admiral – 1
American Lady – 1