The future of the Green Ridge SF counts

Rick Borchelt

Jun 9, 2024, 10:28:12 AMJun 9
to <mdlepsodes@googlegroups.com>
Thanks to all of you who responded on- and off-list; I heard zero sentiment for remaining with NABA.  So ...

We will submit the spring 2024 count data already in hand to NABA (thank you, Tom!) because we had already committed to it.  I have let NABA know we will no longer host a spring or summer annual count under their sponsorship.

We will continue (as long as there is interest) to conduct spring and summer butterfly censuses in GRSF, roughly mid-April (focus on Olympia Marble and Silvery Blue, plus further elucidation of the azure complex) and mid-July (focus on the nation's largest population of Northern Metalmark).  We will collate and submit these data to eButterfly, which is open access.

Unlike the sponsored NABA counts, these will be *informal* and *free* and thus not subject to insurance, notification, or permitting requirements.

We will expand the count area to include ALL of Green Ridge State Forest, as it has become obvious to us that our target species are now being found outside the official arbitrary NABA count circle. But it won't include areas NOT in the SF boundaries and associated C&O canal byways (but will include the new Sideling Hill Creek State Park, which was carved out of the SF). I'll re-jigger the count sectors/routes to ensure good coverage.

If we don't have enough person-power to cover it all in one day, there is no reason we can't continue counting the next day on *different* routes.  I don't want to extend beyond two days, however, to keep from wearying our counters and submitting apples to oranges data.

I will re-write the intro material about the counts on LepLog this week, and will send out the new call for volunteers as well.  Dates remain the same for this summer: July 13 main date, July 14 rain date/mop-up date.

Again, thanks everyone for your helpful and critical advice.  Happy to hear any other suggestions before I post the revised guidance on LepLog.

--
Rick Borchelt
College Park, MD

http://leplog.wordpress.com