West Yorkshire comes to Medway

JFO

Oct 4, 2023, 3:53:40 PM10/4/23
to Invicta Bus & Coach Newsgroup
The most unexpected find for me in Medway on September 30th, were 3 Gemini double deckers from West Yorkshire!, which I spotted while driving near Rochester Airport, and FirstGroup Buses Halifax 32695 YJ06XLN and Transdev West Yorkshire Buses "DalesWay" Bus YJ53CZY (plus a second without reg), maybe awaitng future use by a PCV Training School in North Kent, acording to the freindly Airport Staff members and uniformed Pilot who all gave full permision for these 2 shots, and I was told that if wishing to see these vehicles for yourself they can be photographed as visitors to Rochester are Welcome (acording to signage), though permision Must be sought and a Hi-Viz Must be worn.
P1380758.JPG
P1380756.JPG

Chris

Oct 13, 2023, 1:03:48 AM10/13/23
to Invicta Bus & Coach Newsgroup
I've been looking into these over the last few days, and it looks like they are in some way related to Project Wingman, who store their vehicles in the same compound when not elsewhere in the country (one recently spent some time in Scotland). The airport website also carries an aerial photo of the site, with a vehicle in what is known to be Wingman livery surrounded by these three.

There's a press release from First Group in February stating they are handing over a 2006 Volvo to the charity as their third vehicle, which seems to match the livery of this one (although as usual for press releases, the registration is obscured). No specific knowledge on the Transdev ones, but it seems likely they may be additional vehicles or, given the similarity of age to the native examples, parts donors.

The  identified one is ex Transdev 3601, whilst I think I've narrowed down the other one to one of three vehicles, ex 3604-6 inclusive. These were the original Harrogate 36 vehicles, refurbished and refronted for CityZap, then RedExpress. Four, 3601 and 3404-6 were then temporarily used on Dalesway 66, hence the yellow strip on the upper deck windscreen. It appears the driver training decals are leftovers from a final use at Transdev. All subject to me having read captions correctly (and those captions being correct!), of course, but that's as narrow as I can get it.

Chris

Richard Ratcliffe

Oct 13, 2023, 3:40:50 PM10/13/23
to mdekb...@googlegroups.com
I am fairly sure that part of Rochester Airport has been used for storage of buses over a number of years although I wasn't aware of any recent such use until now.  Bit of spare ground and some decent security and a useful income stream for the airport operator.

Ratty

Oct 30, 2023, 5:55:12 PM10/30/23
to Invicta Bus & Coach Newsgroup
Thanks Guys, I had a feeling that Chris would pick up on this, and when I passed by again on Saturday 28th, I spotted them again from a nearby public road and there was indeed a "Project WingMan" decker with them, so I suspect you are both right.
P1380868.JPG

JFO

Jun 11, 2024, 4:07:20 PMJun 11
to Invicta Bus & Coach Newsgroup
I passed by Rochester Airport again on Sat 8th, and a "Project Wingman" Non PCV Gemini YK55ATY was in the car park, while the ex First Group West Yorkshire "Halifax Connect" branded Gemini 32695 YJ06YLN also still lives there, having been joined by a Fiat Van Bus SC65HGD, and YJ06YLN is still awaiting future use by a PCV Training School, according to the Staff member who gave full permission for these 2 shots and told me, "The double decker is going to be a "Learner Bus" to practise driving", though he didn't know anything else about it, or know what happened to the 2 "Dalesway" vehicles I saw in 2023.
Once again if anyone wishes to see these vehicles for themselves, I was told that they can still be photographed if permission is sought, all signed or verbal instructions are followed, and a Hi-Viz is worn.
P1390775.JPG
P1390774.JPG

JFO

Jun 24, 2024, 5:58:07 PM (13 days ago) Jun 24
to Invicta Bus & Coach Newsgroup
While driving near Rochester Airport again on Sat 22nd, I noticed that the ex First Group Buses West Yorkshire "Halifax Connect" branded Gemini 32695 YJ06YLN and the Fiat Van Bus SC65HGD have migrated into the public car park, and so I took the opertunity to show YJ06YLN's rear end and passenger side which still legals for "First West Yorkshire Ltd, Donisthorpe Street, Hunslet Farm, Leeds", while SC65HGD has no legals or seats and just a "Not for Hire or Reward" window sticker, and the "Project Wingman" Non PCV Gemini YK55ATY seen last time has left.
P1390851.JPG
P1390850.JPG
P1390849.JPG