Birds eating periodical cicadas

Gabriel Foley

May 11, 2021, 1:44:42 PM5/11/21
to MD Birding
Hi folks!

The cicadas have arrived! As a Canadian, I've always been too far north to experience a periodical cicada emergence, and I am ecstatic to get to see Brood X emerge this spring! Of course, I had to read up on cicadas and learn as much as I could about them--and I realized that there are surprisingly few bird species documented eating periodical cicadas.

To help remedy that, Gene Scarpulla and I put together a short survey that you can access here: https://bit.ly/BirdsEatingCicadas. If you see birds eating cicadas or feeding them to their young, please upload the sightings to our survey form, and we'll summarize the observations in Maryland Birdlife

I can't wait to hear what you see!

Thanks,
Gabriel Foley
North Bethesda

--
Gabriel J. Foley, M.Sc.
Atlas Coordinator

@birdnirdfoley

Phil Davis

May 11, 2021, 2:37:43 PM5/11/21
to MD Birding
FYI ...

I got my Maryland state Swallow-tailed Kite AND Mississippi Kite, at the same time, hawking cicadas over Sean McCandless's house in Cecil County during the last emergence in 2004!

Phil

At 13:44 05/11/2021, Gabriel Foley wrote:
Hi folks!

The cicadas have arrived! As a Canadian, I've always been too far north to experience a periodical cicada emergence, and I am ecstatic to get to see Brood X emerge this spring! Of course, I had to read up on cicadas and learn as much as I could about them--and I realized that there are surprisingly few bird species documented eating periodical cicadas.

To help remedy that, Gene Scarpulla and I put together a short survey that you can access here: https://bit.ly/BirdsEatingCicadas. If you see birds eating cicadas or feeding them to their young, please upload the sightings to our survey form, and we'll summarize the observations in Maryland Birdlife

I can't wait to hear what you see!

Phil Davis, Secretary
MD/DC Records Committee
2549 Vale Court
Davidsonville, Maryland  21035     USA
301-261-0184
pda...@ix.netcom.com

Gail Mackiernan

May 11, 2021, 3:35:44 PM5/11/21
to Phil Davis, MD Birding
Me too!

Gail Mackiernan
Colesville

Sent from my iPhone

Janet Millenson

May 11, 2021, 3:49:54 PM5/11/21
to mdbi...@googlegroups.com

Great idea, Gabriel! Your survey asks only for 2021 sightings, however I have a vivid memory from 1970 of a House Sparrow picking apart a cicada that was not enjoying the experience.

--
Janet Millenson

Potomac, MD (Montgomery County)

ja...@twocrows.com

Pat

May 11, 2021, 4:59:55 PM5/11/21
to Phil Davis, MD Birding
So did I!

Pat

Pat Valdata
Crisfield, MD

Matthew Felperin

May 11, 2021, 5:01:11 PM5/11/21
to Pat, Phil Davis, MD Birding
I will be on a quest to document as many birds eating cicadas as I can!

Matt Felperin

Roving Naturalist - NOVA Parks
Park Naturalist - Patuxent River Park
Director – Patuxent Bird Club, MOS chapter

Paul O'Brien

May 12, 2021, 12:01:36 AM5/12/21
to matt...@gmail.com, pval...@gmail.com, pda...@ix.netcom.com, mdbi...@googlegroups.com
So far I have seen Great Crested Flycatcher, Veery, Indigo Bunting and House Sparrow munching on yummy cicadas.  I expect to see many more as my lawn was crawling with newly emerged larva this evening.

Paul O'Brien
Rockville,MD

Paul O'Brien

May 13, 2021, 12:08:02 AM5/13/21
to mdbi...@googlegroups.com, matt...@gmail.com, pval...@gmail.com, pda...@ix.netcom.com, mdbi...@googlegroups.com
Update for 5/12 on cicada munchers: Swainson's Thrush, Robin and Cardinal.

But more exciting is the report from Pat Scheid who saw a bright yellow Scarlet Tanager in the woods at the corner of Princeton and Fordham in the College Gardens subdivision of Rockville.  I saw one a few years ago with my son Michael in Boy Scout Woods on the Bolivar Peninsula in Texas.  It was about two feet from a bright orange Scarlet Tanager.  Amazing!

Paul O'Brien

Paul O'Brien

May 13, 2021, 10:42:11 PM5/13/21
to mdbi...@googlegroups.com, matt...@gmail.com, pval...@gmail.com, pda...@ix.netcom.com, mdbi...@googlegroups.com
Update for 5/13.  Add Titmouse, Catbird and Rose-breasted Grosbeak.  The Swainson's Thrushes are gorging on cicadas.

guine...@aol.com

May 14, 2021, 7:23:59 AM5/14/21
to mdbi...@googlegroups.com
And the bird many birders love to hate  -  Starlings!
They're all over our front yard poking at the erupted holes in the ground.
I find them fascinating.

G. Frantz
Old Hannover Rd
Balto County

Paul O'Brien

May 26, 2021, 4:31:18 PM5/26/21
to mdbi...@googlegroups.com, matt...@gmail.com, pval...@gmail.com, pda...@ix.netcom.com, mdbi...@googlegroups.com
Update for 5/19 and 5/26.  Add Red-eyed Vireo and Carolina Chickadee.  As a follow-up on the yellow Scarlet Tanager, It turns out that Dave Sibley saw his first just last year and has posted an account as well as a beautiful painting.

Paul O'Brien

sus...@verizon.net

May 31, 2021, 8:51:23 PM5/31/21
to Paul O'Brien, mdbi...@googlegroups.com, matt...@gmail.com, pval...@gmail.com, pda...@ix.netcom.com, mdbi...@googlegroups.com

Inline image

Inline image

This evening my wife and I were entertained by this Prothonotary Warbler that landed between us on the towpath near Violets Lock to continue collecting pieces of a cicada.  We weren’t there for the initial catch but we watched for several minutes as it repeatedly smashed and stabbed the cicada.  It took small chunks of it into the nearby woods to feed its nestlings, returned in under a minute to continue the massacre.

As people stopped to wait for me to take photos I explained what was happening and even told one couple the Alger Hiss and Whitaker Chambers story.  Hopefully this was a “spark bird” for a few of the witnesses.

David Gersten

Anir Bhat

Jun 1, 2021, 6:17:57 AM6/1/21
to Maryland & DC Birding

Great shot of Prothonotary warbler. Yesterday I was at Antietam Battlefield near the Burnside Bridge. Saw thousands of Cicadas, the nymphs and molted adults with bright red eyes. I also saw a female bluebird trying to catch them in the air. The collective noise they were making was quite deafening..

Chas Argent

Jun 1, 2021, 9:23:16 AM6/1/21
to Anir Bhat, Maryland & DC Birding
I never realized how much I rely on hearing birds to find them until I went birding yesterday at Ft Frederick. The noise was overwhelming. The only birds I could really hear were the most insistent ones—Red-eyd Vireo, or Red-shouldered Hawk, for example.

~Chas Argent
Catonsville, MD

Janet Millenson

Jun 1, 2021, 11:14:37 AM6/1/21
to mdbi...@googlegroups.com

The insect noise is indeed amazing, though Carolina Wrens are louder! The maximum cicada volume in our yard has been 82 dB so far. In 2004 they reached 86 dB.

--
Janet Millenson

Potomac, MD (Montgomery County)

ja...@twocrows.com

Dean Mahlstedt

Jun 2, 2021, 7:22:54 AM6/2/21
to Janet Millenson, MDBi...@googlegroups.com
I observed an Eastern Bluebird eating a cicada in a tree at the Howard County Conservancy on May 30.  On June 1st at Rockburn Park in Elkridge I spotted an American Robin eating a few on a trail path in the woods and also watched an Indigo Bunting eating one on a paved path near a parking lot.  Dean in Ellicott City

Sent from my iPhone

Don Simonson

Jun 2, 2021, 9:17:54 AM6/2/21
to Maryland & DC Birding
Downy Woodpecker, House Wren, Eastern Wood-peewee and House Sparrow catching cicadas in our yard in Darnestown Montgomery County. What a migration from below ground, a unique wonderful loud noise and spectacle!
Don Simonson, Darnestown

Gail Mackiernan

Jun 2, 2021, 11:27:46 AM6/2/21
to Don Simonson, Maryland & DC Birding
Was doing a bird count this am in Northwood Branch Park and had a male Baltimore Oriole fly down from the top of a tall tree, grab a cicada in the ground, and fly up onto a low branch to dismember and eat it.

Gail Mackiernan
Colesville

Sent from my iPad

Don Simonson

Jun 2, 2021, 1:13:30 PM6/2/21
to Gail Mackiernan, Maryland & DC Birding
Filmed a Prothonotary Warbler today catching and dismembering a Cicada on c and o canal towpath one mile upstream from Seneca MD acqueduct.
Good birding/eating!
Don Simonson
Darnestown

Scott G

Jun 3, 2021, 7:38:22 AM6/3/21
to Maryland & DC Birding
Ok, so this isn't a bird eating a cicada, but maybe even more interesting... a wolf spider eating a cicada:

Scott Garrison
IMG_20210602_122147817.jpg

Mandrake Sumners

Jun 3, 2021, 10:09:07 AM6/3/21
to Maryland & DC Birding
For anyone interested there's a fascinating article about the interactions between cicada and bird populations here: https://www.discovermagazine.com/planet-earth/during-cicada-boom-birds-mysteriously-vanish

Dean Mahlstedt

Jun 3, 2021, 4:58:53 PM6/3/21
to Mandrake Sumners, Maryland & DC Birding
Saw a Summer Tanager eating a cicada at Alpha Ridge Park in Howard County.  Also saw a Northern Mockingbird chasing down (on foot) and eating a cicada in a Jimmy Johns parking lot in Ellicott City.  Dean in Ellicott City

Sent from my iPhone

Steve Johnson

Jun 21, 2021, 9:13:49 AM6/21/21
to Maryland & DC Birding
Hello Gabriel,
Thank you for setting up this survey form.  I have been dutifully entering a record, each time I see (and identify) a bird with a cicada.  You mentioned that the results will be published in Maryland Birdlife.  I'll be very interested to see the results.  Will they be available anywhere else, or do I need to join MOS to see the cicada predation data?
Cheers,
Steve Johnson
Fairfax, Virginia

George Jett

Jun 21, 2021, 9:37:59 AM6/21/21
to Steve Johnson, Maryland & DC Birding
Folks
A friend photographed a Woodduck eating. a Cicada.  I saw
 a Fish crow eat one & a Starling catch one to eat.
I will forward the photo to Gene in case it is helpful.
George

Aniruddha Bhat

Jun 21, 2021, 10:07:19 AM6/21/21
to George Jett, Maryland & DC Birding, Steve Johnson
5 Bluebirds just fledged from my nest-box. The empty nest showed several Cicada carcasses.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Maryland & DC Birding" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mdbirding/1351850027.3057125.1624282668803%40mail.yahoo.com.