Northern Shrike in Northern VA.

Hugh David Fleischmann

Nov 2, 2016, 8:56:11 PM11/2/16
to mdbi...@googlegroups.com
There is currently a Northern Shrike that is being seen in Fairfax County, Virginia for the last week. I was just made aware of it by seeing it accidentally on Ebird. I am going to chase it tomorrow. It's 80 miles from Owings Mills; a hop, skip and a jump.   Anyone interested please send me a message.

Peace.

Amazing Birding in 2016!

Hugh David Fleischmann

Nov 2, 2016, 8:57:11 PM11/2/16
to mdbi...@googlegroups.com
It's been showing up consistently after Noon.

Amazing Birding in 2016!

Begin forwarded message:

Howard Wu

Nov 3, 2016, 1:50:10 PM11/3/16
to Maryland & DC Birding
Please note that if you go to visit this site and check the eBird reports, some birders have erroneously put "Sully Historical Site" -- this is incorrect. The correct location is Sully Woodlands on Pleasant Valley Road south of Braddock Road. Sully Historical Site is a totally different location, and if you go there you will be disappointed :-).

Sully Woodlands has no facility, no parking, so you have to park on the road shoulder (the road is also one-lane each way, but the shoulders are fairly wide).

The bird seems very at home and relaxed at this habitat, I hope it hangs around for some time, but with the upcoming weather change, who knows. BTW, I was able to also photograph a Vesper Sparrow on one of my visits. It is a good site! See my write-up below:
http://www.travelerathome.com/2016_10_shrike/2016_10_shrike.html

Cheers,
Howard Wu
Herndon, VA

Hugh David Fleischmann

Nov 3, 2016, 5:02:30 PM11/3/16
to Howard Wu, Maryland & DC Birding
It been a fun couple of days of local and semi local birding. Starting this
Past Tuesday, with the Baltimore Bird Club weekly walk; this week at Mt Vista Park. We had Black-capped Chickadee's in Baltimore County, pretty cool. Not a new state or year bird but certainly a new county bird.

Then yesterday I chased the Scoter flock Mark Johnson originally reported, that was seen in Queen Annes County, about 60 miles each way.  I took a shot by myself and went to Matapeake State Park and found about 1000 Scoters about a mile away! And I was able to pick out two White-winged Scoters unbelievably; thankfully they showed their white wing patches in a brief show of display.  They were my target species. MD year bird #293 and USA year #457.

The highlite, thus far this week, would have to be today's chase.  Yesterday I saw on eBird that there is a Northern Shrike being seen in Manassas, Virginia. I did some homework and made the treck, 80 miles each way, again by myself, today and had lifer #478 and 2016 USA year bird #458, in about 60 seconds.  It was one of the easiest lifers ever.  And what a cool bird.  Beautiful and what a hunter!

Tomorrow brings Waggoner Gap Hawk Watch, in Pennsylvania, to try and see a Golden Eagle. And it keeps on going with a great trip on Saturday, to Swan Harbor. Then Rarity Roundup in Ocean City, MD, next week and then off to Texas in 2 weeks.  I am praying the Amazon Kingfisher and Northern Jacana remain where they are, in Texas.

And if I have not reached 500 birds in USA by the end of TX trip, it's off to New Mexico in December, to see the Rosy-finches.  Wow, now I know why I am tired!  Have a great day.
image1.JPG

image2.JPG

Amazing Birding in 2016!

Gabi Hauser

Nov 5, 2016, 11:16:24 AM11/5/16
to Maryland & DC Birding
Showing well today in good light!

Gabi Hauser

Nov 5, 2016, 12:33:47 PM11/5/16
to Maryland & DC Birding
More detailed directions: from the Braddock rd/mt pleasant rd intersection go south on mt. Pleasant rd for exactly 0.5 miles. The entrance road on the right is unmarked and has a metal barrier. If you reached the brown Sully Woodlands sign you have just missed the entrance. Park on the shoulder of mt pleasant rd. Walk on the dirt rd for about 100 yards. The birds hangs out on the bare trees in the fields behind the abandoned shack on the right. It has been flying from tree to tree hunting.
Enjoy!

Gaby Hauser
Rockville

Jared Fisher