MD Dept. of Natural Resources Wild Turkey Research Project

Jim Nelson

Jan 9, 2023, 5:09:02 PM1/9/23
to mdbi...@googlegroups.com
I just found a recent article about the Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR) conducting the first comprehensive study of wild turkeys ever conducted in the state. The 3-year research project aims to answer many questions about factors potentially impacting turkey populations.

As part of the project, DNR is asking for the public’s assistance by reporting via an online form any turkey flocks they see during the winter. More details on the study and how to report sightings of turkey flocks is in the article:

Jim Nelson
Bethesda, MD

JAMES SPEICHER

Jan 9, 2023, 6:19:37 PM1/9/23
to Jim Nelson, mdbirding
I checked out the online reporting form which asks for the expected information incl a detail that can be problematic - sex breakdown of the flock...

Question
Why can't the researchers involved simply open an eBird account to which we can share our turkey checklists?

Jim S

Gail Mackiernan

Jan 9, 2023, 6:25:50 PM1/9/23
to JAMES SPEICHER, Jim Nelson, mdbirding
Not necessary to provide that, though for the report I just submitted, it was no issue. Seven fat gobblers!

Gail Mackiernan
Colesville

Sent from my iPad

JAMES SPEICHER

Jan 9, 2023, 6:55:29 PM1/9/23
to Gail Mackiernan, Jim Nelson, mdbirding
Yes, you report what you can determine to the best of your ability, BUT they stand a much better chance of getting data as a shared checklist which will have all the requested data and by a far simpler process.

I'm an old geezer and this is the way data used to be collected, but DNR needs to get with the times!

Jim S

Oliver Patrick

Jan 9, 2023, 7:01:16 PM1/9/23
to JAMES SPEICHER, Gail Mackiernan, Jim Nelson, mdbirding
I suspect this study is collecting information from more than just birders—hunters and rural landowners are also likely gonna play a major role in reporting to DNR. That would explain the decision to not rely on eBird, though its data definitely could supplement their research!

Oliver Patrick
Montgomery County

JAMES SPEICHER

Jan 9, 2023, 7:19:17 PM1/9/23
to Oliver Patrick, Gail Mackiernan, Jim Nelson, mdbirding
I don't know if there's more info requested beyond the first screen as my wireless signal dropped out b4 it would load, but I included my checklist link where it asked for location and entered this text at the comment prompt

"Consider setting up a DNR eBird account to which people can Share checklists that will have all of the required information. For almost all reports you can assume the submitters are NOT the property owners."

Jim S

Jim Nelson

Jan 9, 2023, 7:21:12 PM1/9/23
to mdbi...@googlegroups.com
Keep in mind that DNR's target group for this is much broader than just birders, including hunters, hikers, and other nature lovers.  So it appears they have set up a simple reporting system that anyone can use.

Jim Nelson

pbudde

Jan 9, 2023, 9:01:04 PM1/9/23
to Gail Mackiernan, JAMES SPEICHER, Jim Nelson, mdbirding
Interestingly, the state of Michigan is doing the same sort of Wild Turkey study, beginning 1 January 2023.

Paul

Paul Budde
Washington, DC

Sent from my Galaxy

Jan 10, 2023, 1:51:27 PM1/10/23
to mdbi...@googlegroups.com

It seems to me that there probably are already DNR employees on eBird who could look at what birders post there without even asking.

So, this looks like DNR is looking for more observers.  Right around here, turkeys have been common enough to not be remarkable.  But, they do seem to have become less densely populated in the last 2 years.  They are hunted here, and may also be getting released here.

Steve Long (near) Oxford

Marcia Watson

Jan 10, 2023, 2:28:11 PM1/10/23
to mdbi...@googlegroups.com

There’s a lot of information about this project on the DNR website and I urge anyone who is interested in understanding it to go to the website to read about it. As someone previously noted, DNR is trying to reach much more than birders, including hunters, land-owners, and public and private land managers.

More information about the project can be found on the DNR website at https://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Documents/Public-info-flyer-turkey-project-12-22.pdf. Or see DNR’s Wild Turkey Fact Sheet at https://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/plants_wildlife/WildTurkeyFactSheet.aspx.

Here are a few snippets from the above to show the scope of the project:

Beginning in January 2023, Wild Turkeys will be captured and outfitted with leg-bands and/or GPS radio-transmitters. DNR staff will monitor the birds throughout the year and collect data on survival, reproduction, movements, and habitat use. The effects of weather, habitat, predators, disease, and hunter harvest will all be investigated by the research team.

The department is asking for the public’s assistance by reporting via online form any turkey flocks they see during the winter. You can report turkey flocks using this form: https://forms.gle/qWsnzuR3Doq9cWdD7

Although turkey populations have increased in Maryland in the past 50 years due to an intensive restoration program to reintroduce the birds to their historic range, surveys suggest that their numbers have declined from their peak in some areas.

The annual DNR Summer Wild Turkey Observation Survey has documented a general decline in wild turkey reproduction the past several decades, particularly in areas that were previous turkey strongholds. Spring turkey harvests have dropped in some areas as well. Similar trends in other states throughout the U.S. have prompted numerous studies to investigate potential causes.

This research will be conducted as part of a multi-state collaborative effort with partners, including the Pennsylvania Game Commission, New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife, Penn State University, University of Pennsylvania, and the National Wild Turkey Federation. Data will be collected at sites throughout the mid-Atlantic region to allow comparisons among areas with different landscape characteristics, providing an avenue to learn even more about the birds.

Marcia

Marcia Watson

Bowie, MD

James Tyler Bell

Jan 10, 2023, 5:13:36 PM1/10/23
to mdbi...@googlegroups.com
I believe they monitor Mute Swans via eBird. It's like whack-a-mole. One pops up and they whack it!

Tyler Bell
jtyle...@yahoo.com
California, Maryland