Wheaton Regional Park today 5/10

Gail Mackiernan

May 10, 2021, 2:40:50 PM5/10/21
to mdbi...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Wheaton was hot today - well, figuratively speaking as actually it was pretty darn cold first thing, also dark and also windy. Which made it hard to see the many birds around. We only heard David Gersten’s lakeside Mourning Warbler but perseverance paid off with other sightings. Barry had an appointment but I carried on for several more hours. One of those days when you think, well, time to hang it up, and then your hear or see another interesting bird!

We had 17 species of Warbler, and I know that other birders saw several other species...maybe a total of 20 or 21 in all. Interestingly, as far as I know no “winged” warblers (BWWA or GWWA), no Canada and several other expected species missing. Where, for example, are our Black-throated Greens?

Other good birds included FOY Rose-breasted Grosbeak and Wood-pewee. Orioles are everywhere this year!

Gail Mackiernan and Barry Cooper
Colesville

73 species (+2 other taxa)
Birds of interest

Chimney Swift 6
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1
Solitary Sandpiper 4
Green Heron 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Eastern Wood-Pewee 2 FOY
Acadian Flycatcher 2
Eastern Phoebe 1
Great Crested Flycatcher 1
Eastern Kingbird 2
Warbling Vireo 4 Pair at Pine Lake, single singing birds elsewhere
Red-eyed Vireo 5 Male feeding female
Northern Rough-winged Swallow 5
Tree Swallow 3
Barn Swallow 10 Gude Garden tea house
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1
Wood Thrush 6
Cedar Waxwing 10
Chipping Sparrow 6
White-throated Sparrow 2
Eastern Towhee 3
Orchard Oriole 1
Baltimore Oriole 12 At least. A lot of squabbling going on between males.
Red-winged Blackbird 5
Ovenbird 1
Northern Waterthrush 2
Black-and-white Warbler 1
Tennessee Warbler 1
Mourning Warbler 1 Unfortunately, heard only. Found earlier by David Gersten.
Common Yellowthroat 8 All but one were males
American Redstart 6
Cape May Warbler 2
Northern Parula 5
Magnolia Warbler 3
Bay-breasted Warbler 1 Heard only
Yellow Warbler 1
Chestnut-sided Warbler 3
Black-throated Blue Warbler 4 All males
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) 4
Prairie Warbler 1
Wilson's Warbler 1
Scarlet Tanager 4
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 1 Male, FOY
Indigo Bunting 3

Sent from my iPad

sus...@verizon.net

May 10, 2021, 7:10:07 PM5/10/21
to Gail Mackiernan, mdbi...@googlegroups.com
Gail,
I had a black-throated green at the parking lot.  17 warblers for me today.  Really good looks at two bay-breasted.
David Gersten
Silver Spring, MD

Michel Cavigelli

May 10, 2021, 7:56:01 PM5/10/21
to sus...@verizon.net, Gail Mackiernan, mdbi...@googlegroups.com
One of the winged warblers was in Greenbelt this morning (blue winged) but with only 4 total warblers species in 1.5 h, you win today’s game, Gail! 😊

Michel Cavigelli

Sent from my iPhone

On May 10, 2021, at 7:10 PM, 'sus...@verizon.net' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbi...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

 Gail,