Nocturnal mystery call

JAMES SPEICHER

Nov 7, 2021, 11:27:26 PM11/7/21
to mdbirding
Heard initially @1812 and again @1904 on 11/07/21.

Best snippet attached as WAV.

BirdNET came up blank.

Visually compared to Barn [#3 of 8] & GHOW [Begging calls] examples that were sourced from eBird, recorded on my phone and then analyzed on BirdNET.  GHOW seems closest.  Also two adult GHOWs were heard calling back and forth at a distance for the latter occurrence.

I haven't heard a fox calling in some time to be able to recall its characteristics.  That's a possibility, but the sound seemed to be sourced both near and then far too rapidly for a ground source.  Loudness also seemed off for a fox/coyote unless it was actually in the yard.

Jim S
2021_11_07_18_12_47a.wav
TWO CALLS B.jpg
TWO CALLS A.jpg

Andrew McGann

Nov 7, 2021, 11:40:28 PM11/7/21
to JAMES SPEICHER, mdbirding
Hi James,

It’s definitely a fox. I’m leaning towards Red.

Best,
Andy McGann

--
Andy McGann
New Haven, CT

<2021_11_07_18_12_47a.wav><TWO CALLS B.jpg><TWO CALLS A.jpg>

Carol Sottili

Nov 8, 2021, 6:49:53 AM11/8/21
to JAMES SPEICHER, mdbirding
Fox is my vote.