Wheaton Regional Park today 5/11

Gail Mackiernan

May 11, 2021, 5:30:10 PM5/11/21
to mdbi...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Another very active day at WRP, almost like the dam that has been holding migration back has finally broken. A group of us stood in one spot for about 40 minutes and tallied 14 species of warbler, plus a Brewster’s hybrid!

We ultimately saw 17 Warbler species, as well as the Brewster’s. Other birders added Hooded, Ovenbird, Pine, Prairie, Nashville, and Blue-winged (that I know of).

Other good birds included multiple Scarlet Tanagers, Blue-headed Vireos, but thrushes other than Wood are still thin on the ground.

Gail Mackiernan and Barry Cooper
Colesville

67 species (+3 other taxa)
Birds of interest:

Chimney Swift 4
Spotted Sandpiper 2
Green Heron 1
Eastern Wood-Pewee 3
Acadian Flycatcher 2
Eastern Phoebe 1
Great Crested Flycatcher 1
Eastern Kingbird 3
Blue-headed Vireo 2
Warbling Vireo 3
Red-eyed Vireo 6
Northern Rough-winged Swallow 3
Tree Swallow 2
Barn Swallow 8
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 3
Gray Catbird 8
Brown Thrasher 1
Eastern Bluebird 3
Wood Thrush 3
Cedar Waxwing 25 Estimate
Chipping Sparrow 7
Eastern Towhee 2
Baltimore Oriole 10
Northern Waterthrush 2
Brewster's Warbler (hybrid) 1 Seen at Shorefield parking area, resembled classic Golden-winged except lacking black bib. Silent. Some photos taken by other birders.
Black-and-white Warbler 2
Tennessee Warbler 3
Common Yellowthroat 4
American Redstart 3
Cape May Warbler 2
Northern Parula 6
Magnolia Warbler 4
Bay-breasted Warbler 2 One seen and one heard only
Blackburnian Warbler 1 Heard only
Yellow Warbler 1
Chestnut-sided Warbler 5
Blackpoll Warbler 1