Tropical Kingbird

Kathryn Davis

Nov 6, 2021, 5:53:54 PM11/6/21
to Maryland & DC Birding
Tropical Kingbird was still hanging out at Blackwater NWR and putting on a nice show this morning.  After checking out the area on Wildlife Drive between stops 8 and 9, where it had been seen earlier in the week and where I did not find it, I went to the Visitors Center where he had been seen yesterday.  It had been seen there before I arrived and it showed up again about ten minutes after I arrived.   It landed in one of the trees in the garden in back of the Visitors Center and stayed there for a few minutes before moving to the roof of the center giving great looks.  He then flew off and did not come back.  So, after 30 minutes, I walked to my car in the parking lot to leave only to learn that he had been hanging out on the trees on both sides of the long driveway entrance to the center.  He flew from tree to tree and perched nicely for some good photo shots by a multitude of photographers and periodically flew off long enough to apparently snatch a bug or two and then returned to one of the trees.

While at the center, also spotted some Bald Eagles, a Kestrel that attacked an Eastern Meadowlark (unsuccessfully) and a Northern Harrier hunting over the marsh.

Good day of birding!