Help with ID: Acadian flycatcher?

Ted on Little Round Bay

May 29, 2024, 9:39:53 AMMay 29
to Maryland & DC Birding
This was 5/28 at 17:30.  Crownsville, Maryland deep in a woody path by a tiny creek with lots of bugs in the area.  The guy would hang midway up on tree branch for about a minute then choose another branch (probably because I was stalking it). I'll attempt to upload the audio file and 2 terrible photos.  Thanks for any confirmation.  New bird for me if so. 2024-05-28 Acadian FC? L1190160.jpg2024-05-28 Acadian FC?L1190158.jpg
2024-05-28 Acadian flycatcher according to Merlin (and GCFL).wav

Robert McLean

May 29, 2024, 9:54:14 AMMay 29
to Ted on Little Round Bay, Maryland & DC Birding
Hi Ted,
The bird is definitely an Acadian Flycatcher. The “swvet” call note is that note the Acadian makes around its nest. I have heard it make this note often in the wooded areas north of Lake Roland in Baltimore (blue trail).

Acadian is a fairly common breeder in our areas.

Your photos also very clearly shows the long primary projection of the Acadian. This empid has the longest primary projection of all Maryland breeding empids.

Nice siting (and lifer).

Good birding!

Taylor McLean
Towson, MD