Additional eBird Hotspot at Montgomery County's "Hughes Hollow"

Mike Bowen

Jan 14, 2023, 4:55:37 AM1/14/23
to Maryland & DC Birding
Users of eBird in Montgomery County should be aware that, for the first time ever, there is a second eBird Hotspot at Hughes Hollow (McKee Beshers Wildlife Management Area), the county's second most productive Hotspot ranked by total eBird species observed.

This second Hotspot is called "Hughes Hollow - McKee Beshers WMA--Sunflower area and eastern fields" and is intended for the recording of sightings in the eastern part of this very large wildlife management area, east of the gravel track that leads south from the "Sunflower" parking area and south of Hunting Quarter Rd.  Map below shows the positioning of the new Hotspot as a blue flag, while the red flag to the west is the location of the preexisting Hotspot, which is still available for use, especially for birders visiting the area of the two impoundments and the fields to their south.

Inline image

Questions?:  send to Mike Bowen, dhmb...@yahoo.com, eBird Hotspot Reviewer/Editor for Maryland, DC, and Delaware.

D. H. Michael Bowen
8609 Ewing Drive
Bethesda, Maryland 20817
Ambassador for American Bird Conservancy, helping ABC help the birds
eBird Hotspot Reviewer/Editor for Maryland, Delaware, the District of Columbia, and the Republic of Ghana

Mike Bowen

Jan 14, 2023, 10:34:46 AM1/14/23
to David Crooks, Maryland & DC Birding
David:  The State of Maryland plants sunflowers in various and different fields every year, rotating the crop.  The plants are often not recognized as sunflowers at all until close to full growth in summer, starting in June.  There are no wetlands (except for small areas within the woods) in the area represented by the new Hotspot.  The blue marker in the map I posted represents a much larger area of varying habitats, not just the immediate part next to the marker.

The principal reason for planting sunflowers is to attract Mourning Doves, which are (much to the horror of those of us who love doves) an important game species.  Fortunately, other (non-game) bird species also benefit from this crop.

Mike B.

D. H. Michael Bowen
8609 Ewing Drive
Bethesda, Maryland 20817
Ambassador for American Bird Conservancy, helping ABC help the birds
eBird Hotspot Reviewer/Editor for Maryland, Delaware, the District of Columbia, and the Republic of Ghana

On Saturday, January 14, 2023 at 10:17:25 AM EST, David Crooks <davidl...@gmail.com> wrote:

Mike,

Many years ago I spent hours photographing the birds in that area in the wetlands  I never saw a sunflower field where that blue marker is placed.  That is where I parked off Hunting Quarter Road.

Thanks!

David L. Crooks
Photographer, DLCPhotos.com

Marcia Watson

Jan 14, 2023, 12:21:45 PM1/14/23
to Mike Bowen, David Crooks, Maryland & DC Birding
David and all,

The McKee-Beshers Sunflower Fields have become a big tourist draw.  The fields now have a life of their own, much like the eagles at Conowingo now attract hordes of photographers. Many families and  photographers come to view the flowers, and apparently it’s a popular place for wedding proposals and engagement photos. During the summer blooming season, DNR posts bloom updates on its website and social media, and visitors are encouraged to post their own photos.  DNR is urging visitors to purchase a MD Migratory Game Bird Stamp as a way of making a financial contribution to the cost of the fields, which are supported  by hunting fees.

Here’s DNR’s webpage about the sunflowers:   https://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/publiclands/central/sunflowers.aspx

I’ve attached an image of DNR’s map of the sunflower fields. As Mike noted, the field locations are changed annually, and this is the 2022 map.

Marcia
Marcia Watson
Bowie, MD

image

On Sat, Jan 14, 2023 at 4:55 AM 'Mike Bowen' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbi...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Users of eBird in Montgomery County should be aware that, for the first time ever, there is a second eBird Hotspot at Hughes Hollow (McKee Beshers Wildlife Management Area), the county's second most productive Hotspot ranked by total eBird species observed.

This second Hotspot is called "Hughes Hollow - McKee Beshers WMA--Sunflower area and eastern fields" and is intended for the recording of sightings in the eastern part of this very large wildlife management area, east of the gravel track that leads south from the "Sunflower" parking area and south of Hunting Quarter Rd.  Map below shows the positioning of the new Hotspot as a blue flag, while the red flag to the west is the location of the preexisting Hotspot, which is still available for use, especially for birders visiting the area of the two impoundments and the fields to their south.

1673689783487blob.jpg

David Crooks