"Urban" Kestrel Sighting

Lisa Wilcox Deyo

Jan 30, 2023, 12:31:24 PM1/30/23
to Maryland & DC Birding
 I live in Carderock Springs, just outside of the Beltway. On a recent walk down Persimmon Tree Lane, which abuts Congressional Golf Course, I heard an unusual call. It was a kestrel sitting in a tree between two large yards, belting out its alarm call. The little falcon flitted about for at least 30 seconds close by before taking off. I thought (and hoped) that another was calling in the distance. However, one yard over, I came upon its probable competitor: a mechanical "owl", whose eyes were lit up, emitting a mechanical sounding "alarm call". Three of these devices were planted next to young trees, probably to scare deer. It was repeatedly "calling" and probably brought the Kestrel down. What concerns me is that about 6 weeks ago I found a dead barred owl below the same tree where the Kestrel was hanging out. I figured the owl had been hunting and had been hit by a car. I wonder now if it had also been lured by the mechanical owl. Have others observed such raptor reactions to mechanical sounds?
Lisa Wilcox Deyo
Carderock Springs/Bethesda, MD

JAMES SPEICHER

Jan 30, 2023, 1:03:59 PM1/30/23
to Lisa Wilcox Deyo, mdbirding
My guess is that the function is to repel starlings rather than deer. You can find them on Amazon. I doubt that they would be a hazard to real owls, tho they would probably eliminate that yard as a breeding location for many species.

Starlings have found my suet after many years of being starling free. Of course, if I install one, it would probably repel all birds except starlings:(

Jim S

Lisa Wilcox Deyo

Jan 30, 2023, 1:50:31 PM1/30/23
to Maryland & DC Birding
PS. The sound it made was nothing like an owl call. But I could hear how a Kestrel could perceive it as another of its kind and an owl could hear it as the alarm call of prey.