Bird nest & eggs: ID Help please

Jan Braumuller

May 9, 2021, 2:43:35 PM5/9/21
to MDBirds

A friend asked me to help with identification. I, too, am not certain.
The nest is about 3 or four feet off the ground and the eggs are blue with brown spots and grey with brown spots.   The “ramp” is built out of cut tall grasses dried out after the summer and about a foot long.   The nest itself is small and the eggs are probably aoubt 1/2  to 3/4 inches.

Sent from my iPad

5 blue brown eggs

JAMES SPEICHER

May 9, 2021, 4:19:22 PM5/9/21
to Jan Braumuller, mdbirding
Jan you show some aspects of habitat, but I wonder what it looks like in the other direction.

Anyway, wild guess based on the "ramp"... Red-winged BB.

Jim

20210507_131948.jpg
20210507_131913.jpg
20210507_131901.jpg

Steve Long

May 10, 2021, 9:09:41 AM5/10/21
to mdbi...@googlegroups.com

Two of the eggs look bigger and different color from the other 3.  I don't know if that is just camera angle or reality.  Could this be a Red Wing Black Bird nest with 3 eggs that has been used by a Cow Bird (or 2) to deposit the other 2 eggs?

Can you watch the nest long enough to see what species of bird incubates the eggs?

Steve Long, Oxford

Sarah Kirchen

May 14, 2021, 11:12:11 PM5/14/21
to Jan Braumuller, MDBirds
Possibly House Finch.  Although their eggs are typically splotchy pale greenish blue, sometimes they are white and splotchy.

Sarah Kirchen, Sent from my iPhone

On May 9, 2021, at 2:43 PM, Jan Braumuller <janbra...@gmail.com> wrote:

5 blue brown eggs
<20210507_131948.jpg>