A really crazy extralimital record from Maine .. but could have been anywhere ...

Phil Davis

Nov 15, 2021, 1:55:18 PM11/15/21
to MDbirding
Hi MD/DC Birders:

Dave Bridge forwarded me the following, sent to him from his son in Maine ...

Wild!

Phil

From:  David Bridge <bridg...@earthlink.net>
To: Phil Davis <pda...@ix.netcom.com>,
Subject: Roadrunner in Maine
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 12:11:56 +0000

Not only do birds fly to new locations, or ride the Queen Mary across the Atlantic Ocean (Gray Catbird), but now they are hitching rides on Moving Trucks, across country!

Another "issue" for the "Records Committees".

Dave

Nov 15, 2021, 1:59:18 PM11/15/21
to Phil Davis, MDbirding
Hilarious! I think since it's human-assisted travel, it wouldn't be technically countable???

Warren P. Strobel
National Security reporter
The Wall Street Journal
O: (202) 862.6622 | M: (202) 744.1312
E: warren....@wsj.com | T: @wstrobel
A: 1025 Connecticut Ave. NW, Suite 800 | Washington, D.C. 20036
Dow Jones

sus...@verizon.net

Nov 15, 2021, 3:55:18 PM11/15/21
to Phil Davis, MDbirding
Haha.  My first roadrunner was in 1974 on the back of my grandpa’s pickup truck outside of Albuquerque, NM.  Maybe the Maine one is a descendant.

David Gersten

pbudde

Nov 15, 2021, 5:29:21 PM11/15/21
to Strobel, Warren, Phil Davis, MDbirding
Warren,

Ship-assisted counts per ABA rules if the bird was not constrained.  Had the move occurred in an open pick up, I guess the Roadrunner would be countable, but it appears it was in a closed van, so uncountable.

Paul

Washington, DC

Sent from my Galaxy