Stony Run Trail spots

Lauren Goodsmith

May 11, 2021, 3:57:54 PM5/11/21
to Maryland & DC Birding

Both yesterday and today, midmorning walks (10:00 – 11:15 a.m.) along the Stony Run path, just north of Cold Spring Lane, were rewarded by the best array of warblers I’ve had the opportunity of seeing along this particular stretch. Black-throated blue, black and white, Chestnut-sided, Magnolia, Canada warbler (a personal favorite), redstarts and yellow-rumped (many), plus an ovenbird and a Louisiana waterthrush. Then, on my way back home, cutting through the playground area along Linkwood Rd (just south of Cold Spring), saw my first ever Bay-breasted warbler, enjoying the pickings in a large (maple?) tree just past the playground and off the path. A real treat.

Lauren Goodsmith

May 11, 2021, 4:18:21 PM5/11/21
to Maryland & DC Birding

Apologies! Kurt Schwartz observed that I neglected to mention county location for the Stony Run Path.

The Stony Run path is in Baltimore City.

 The path runs from (and through the full length of) Wyman Park (an Olmstead creation) below University Parkway, resumes south of Cold Spring Lane after a short sidewalk stint that follows Linkwood Road. It then continues north of Cold Spring Lane all the way up to Northern Parkway.

The path borders the Stony Run stream. It was greatly improved a few years ago, with the paths being widened and some new trees/native plants put in areas. In the stretch that runs between cold spring Lane and Wyndhurst, there are pathways on both the east and west sides of the streambed. Stepping stones are provided for crossings at various intervals.