Mourning Warbler, River Road, Montgomery County

Rob Hilton

May 20, 2023, 3:52:12 PM5/20/23
to mdbi...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Between roughly 11:10 and 11:50 a.m. this morning, I was birding along River Road approximately 0.2 miles east of the entrance to Summit Hall Turf Farm. I had stopped there to look for Summer Tanager, which I neither saw nor heard. I did however hear a Mourning Warbler singing from three different locations, on the south side of the road. Each time it sang it was further east than the time before. It seemed to be well hidden in the vegetation and did not respond to light phishing. The song was very similar to the song "Nova Scotia, June 22, 1999" on the https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Mourning_Warbler/sounds page.

Rob Hilton
Silver Spring, MD