mduv-390 direct codeplug access

Oskar Wilde

Jul 9, 2024, 3:49:43 PMJul 9
to md380tools

Hi folks

I have a bunch of dead MD UV 390 radios, and currently trying to bring them a second life.

I know that md380 tools have no use for uv390 model, however it seems there are a lot of smart folks here, and since I'm intended to put some efforts there, maybe someone could share their thoughts about the issues I came up with.

Currently, my goal is not so ambitious as to run custom firmware on uv390, but for the start to read codeplug from radio (not using cps tool, because radio won't turn on unfortunately)

What I've tried to do, is to open the radio and take a look at what is inside. It looks like the schematics is quite like md380, we have stm cpu and spi flash (I guessing to store codeplug). Next I dumped the SPI content with CH341a, but now it seems that data on SPI is encrypted. I was not expecting this, because decryption on the fly should take some processor time, however it is there preventing me from doing anything with it.

Now I'm wondering, where should be the keys for the codeplug: in the stm memory (separate region, or inside the firmware?), or on the separate chip? There is something 6pin like ALPU-MP I noticed on the board near processor and memory, has it to do something about spi flash protection?

I'll be grateful for any insights or thoughts, and will share any results if achieved.

Mike M

Jul 12, 2024, 8:01:16 AMJul 12
to md380...@googlegroups.com
Hi! You might benefit greatly from looking at OpenRTX and OpenGD77 projects, full replacement firmwares for these and other radios.

OpenGD77 is not quite as open as they used to be, but they do have code releases at times. OpenGD77 seems more focused on ham usage (no encryption key support for instance) but has some cool features like satellite tracking and fully supports DMR.
OpenRTX is fully open, and on Github, and is more strongly FOSS oriented - to the degree that it does not support DMR or AMBE yet, though they are on record as welcoming patches in that direction. OpenRTX is a major platform for M17 and becoming a good baseline firmware for FM and M17, neither of which have any patent encumbrances, has been their focus so far.

Both are full replacement firmwares that run on the single and dual-banders MD-380, MD-UV380, their waterproof case variants, GPS models, their rebrandings like RT3/S, and several DMR baofengs. IIRC md380tools was beneficial for both projects by opening the platform.

Mike

(Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?)